Will adding yeast during bottling speed up carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wulfman

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already come up but i couldnt find it. Soo i was wondering if adding a lil dry yeast to bottling bucket or bottles will speeed up carbonation? I was also thinking of adding in each bottle with eye dropper if necessary. I usually have beer carbonated in 2 weeks just using dextrose and natural yeast in suspension... but wanted it a few days sooner if possible. Thanks in advance!! :mug:

It would most likly give you green beer. Thats what I think would happen or bottle bombs. I know the out come cant be good

It would most likly give you green beer. Thats what I think would happen or bottle bombs. I know the out come cant be good

Hmm that is a very good point.. I definately dont want green beer, since this batch is a winner!!

Hi

Force carbonation in a keg is the way to go if you "just can't wait" for the bottle approach. You can either serve from the keg or then bottle the carbonated beer from the keg.

Bob

If you have a winner batch, don't blow it, just prime normally and give it time. It will only turn out that much better if you wait.

Not on topic, sorry. I have a watermelon wheat for an upcoming party in a corny with pressure. I tasted it today and it is sweet ( as in too much watermelon), I undershot my final volume and added too much wah wah. How can I save it? What should I add to make it less sweet? Lime, lactic ( scary), hops....? It's not bad, just not enough beer, BTW it does have co2 in solution, so maybe warm it up let it ferment a bit? Add co2 before the 4th?

Hi

Force carbonation in a keg is the way to go if you "just can't wait" for the bottle approach. You can either serve from the keg or then bottle the carbonated beer from the keg.

Bob

I was trying to bring this to a party and dont have the option of a jockey box. Thanks tho!

wrong - adding extra yeast will NOT create bottle bombs. carbonation and pressure, and in turn explosions, are directly related to the amount of sugar when the bottle is sealed (both added priming sugar, and residual sugar in the beer if primary fermentation isn't complete). the amount of yeast present only affects speed. if you've got a lot of sugar in there, you'll have a bottle bombs no matter what - with less yeast it will just take a little longer before the bottles blow.

not sure what this fear of "green beer" is, but again adding yeast won't affect that. if your beer needs to age and mellow out, adding a drop of yeast slurry isn't going to change that.

adding yeast will indeed make the bottle carb faster. i did a poor job of racking my last IPA and sucked up a lot of yeast, which made it into the bottles. outcome: beers were fully carbed after a week, and there was a solid layer of yeast at the bottom of each bottle - about twice or three times as thick as there usually is. made serving a tad more tedious, but luckily it compacted down nicely and stayed in the bottle.

you'll probably get best effect if you add an alcohol tolerant yeast like a champagne yeast. or, just scrape your racking cane across the top of your trub layer and suck up some yeast with your beer (i.e. what i did with my IPA). that yeast is already used to the alcohol, downside is that some percentage of what you suck up will be dormant or dead because of it.

but waiting it out and letting the beer carb at its own pace is def the best option, overall.

Not on topic, sorry. I have a watermelon wheat for an upcoming party in a corny with pressure. I tasted it today and it is sweet ( as in too much watermelon), I undershot my final volume and added too much wah wah. How can I save it? What should I add to make it less sweet? Lime, lactic ( scary), hops....? It's not bad, just not enough beer, BTW it does have co2 in solution, so maybe warm it up let it ferment a bit? Add co2 before the 4th?

Im not a pro but i would let it ferment out a lil bit. that should lessen the sweetness

Back