Mash Tun Help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanotigerbrewer

Reaction score
I was testing my newly built Mash Tun (5 Gal Rubbermade cooler) and noticed it leaking from the holder for the paper cups. I realized there was a crack in the bottom of the cooler and all the foam insulation was getting soaked. Is there anything to seal up the cracked liner?

you can try a high temp food safe silicone, but from personal experience. It's DIFFICULT to get anything to adhear to that slick plastic. Rough it up first.

I had the same problem... nothing I'm aware of to fix it.
I saw some suggestions for trying to use epoxy, or apply some sort of patch, but none that appeared the be the AH-HA fix.
Some folks have had great experiences with coolers for MT's. I went to a SS MT.

Good luck.

I was testing my newly built Mash Tun (5 Gal Rubbermade cooler) and noticed it leaking from the holder for the paper cups. I realized there was a crack in the bottom of the cooler and all the foam insulation was getting soaked. Is there anything to seal up the cracked liner?

If it's newly built, can I assume the cooler is new too? If so, take it back...it's shouldn't be cracking with hot liquid.

If it's newly built, can I assume the cooler is new too? If so, take it back...it's shouldn't be cracking with hot liquid.

Mine cracked after a few uses (maybe 10-12 or so). It started as a buckle in the wall from expansion, then eventually cracked about 1/2 the length top to bottom.

My Walmart still has clearance $15 5 gallon coolers. If I were you I'd just transfer my fittings over to a new one.

Back