Mini Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloosky

Reaction score
I am interested in getting one of the mini mash recipe kits from AHS. Is it true that the only thing extra that I will need is a grain bag? Will I not need a mash tun?

you can mini mash in a pot on the stove with a grain bag (go buy some paint strainer bags at lowes/HD - cheap and reusable). from what i understand, a mash tun is for larger volumes, i don't think a mini mash would go over well in a MLT unless you built a really small one.

You can also mini mash in the oven. Turn the oven to it's lowest setting (170ish) and get the grain in the bag in a pot with an appropriate amount of the correct temp water. Then put the pot in the oven and turn the oven off. This will help minimize cooling during the mash.

AHS sends their kits with very good directions. All you'll need is a grain bag. Make sure you buy one big enough to fit in your pot and slip over the rim. Don't sweat it....it's a snap.....

I like to use a 2 gallon drink cooler as a mash tun, then sparge the bag directly in the boil kettle.

Back