First Cascade Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmyR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1#5oz of cascades pulled from my garden today and on my dehydrater at 95F.

Any thoughts on how brown is too brown for hop cones? Mine are browning slightly to medium on the sunny side of the trellis.

34f639bc.jpg

545b58b1.jpg

It can be hard to balance "readiness" across a bine or number of bines. You do the best you can, and that batch looks fine.

Cheers! And congrats on your first crop! :)

Which dehydrator are you using and on what setting? My understanding was that it is pretty easy to get the cones too hot and bad things (can't remember off hand what those things are) will happen.

flanneltrees804 said:
Which dehydrator are you using and on what setting? My understanding was that it is pretty easy to get the cones too hot and bad things (can't remember off hand what those things are) will happen.

Nesco on the lowest setting. 95F.

Smelled great off the bine....now not so brite after 9+hours in dehydrater at 95F Lost 65% of weight during dehydrate. Going to bag and freeze and see how they do. Harvesting more tonight.

sweetcell said:
typically cones are dried to 75-80% weight loss. 65% should be ok, but you could dry them a little more.

Yup...I was getting nervous. Next freezer bag full will be all frozen fresh off the bine.

You don't want to freeze wet hops...

Cheers!

Why? Everything I've read to this point (which is not THAT much) has lead me to believe that fresh-frozen hops keep fine. I've done this in the past with no problems that I am aware of? I've never used a any of the fresh-frozen hops more than a few months later but I still have some in bags from past harvests and will likely smell and make a tea from them to see how they help up.

Back