should go with adjustable height sparge arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jermanimal

Reaction score
I am putting together a mash tun from coolers around the house, he just happened on a 5 gallon water cooler, like new...when on earth did I buy that?

Anyway, I have installed a ball valve and a stainless steel screen (faucet hose screen)

I am trying to think how I want to make the sparge arm. Should I make it height adjustable or just stick to the top of the lid?

A beginner, done successful batch sparge (dump it all in), but want to add a little more complication.

Do I need the lid on the mash tun for sparging? or leave it off?

:mug:

We just keep it simple
We put a bucket lid with 30-40 small holes in it on top of the grain and just let the sparge water hit that first. No moving parts

No you dont need a lid on your mash tun while sparging

We just keep it simple
We put a bucket lid with 30-40 small holes in it on top of the grain and just let the sparge water hit that first. No moving parts

No you dont need a lid on your mash tun while sparging

spoiler...newbie question, i am keeping the water level right at the top of the grain or only slightly above right? Then same in as out?

When I first started all grain brewing my mash tun was a rectangular cooler. I simply put a piece of cpvc in the lid with small holes drilled and then placed a piece of aluminum foil on top of the grain bed with alot of holes poked in it......Worked fabulously !!!!!
Cheers:mug:

Keep it simple. If you want to fly sparge, deliver the sparge water by just laying a silicone tube on the surface of the grain and open each valve a little. With minimal monitoring, you can easily keep a few inches on top of the grain and get great efficiency.

Back