Pacman yeast is awesome!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasky99

Reaction score
Fermenting an amber with pacman yeast harvested from a growler of rogue yellow snow ipa! 60 degrees and still a healthy looking fermentation!

image-1005478632.jpg

It is amazing, but it can result in overly dry beer due to it's incredible attenuation.

I've yet to try pacman but I've never heard of anyone who has not love it. 60f is supposedly its sweet spot from what I've heard. Bet that beer turns out great.

I've yet to try pacman but I've never heard of anyone who has not love it. 60f is supposedly its sweet spot from what I've heard. Bet that beer turns out great.

I hope so, it is a citra hopped amber with honey malt. I have only used this type of yeast before on a light ale, so I hope it doesn't dry out this beer too much because it is supposed to be somewhat sweet!

It is amazing, but it can result in overly dry beer due to it's incredible attenuation.

Again, I just hope it doesn't dry this one out too much. I really didn't think about that. Either way it will be crisp though!

Agreed, 60 degrees is the sweet spot. I've done 65 with it, but think 60 is better. If your mash is in the 152-154 range you shouldn't have any over attenuation problems. If you want something dry with a lot of hops, then 150 is fine as well. I mashed at 158 for a dead guy ale and she bottomed out at 1.020.

What's the suggested amount of yeast to begin with to harvest this yeast? All I have now is a bomber of rogue chocolate stout. Should I buy a sixer of dead guy maybe?

jacobg83 said:
What's the suggested amount of yeast to begin with to harvest this yeast? All I have now is a bomber of rogue chocolate stout. Should I buy a sixer of dead guy maybe?

A bomber or rogue stout should be enough to harvest from. I've heard of peeps doing that. I wouldn't try it with the dead guy, as I heard and don't think that's a good one.

Thanks. I'm gonna check out some videos on it. I already made a stir plate specifically for some pac man.

Thanks. I'm gonna check out some videos on it. I already made a stir plate specifically for some pac man.

I have literally harvested enough for a 5 gallon batch of light ale by taking the dregs out of the bottom of two yellow snows and pouring it in 1.020 wort and leaving it till it finished fermenting and pitching it directly. It worked perfectly. A lot of people want to make it more complicated than it is but you can seriously get a good sample off of two bottles. Six is probably better though, I wont lie. Don't use dead guy though because they filter that.

Should I have any trouble harvesting Pacman from a single 22-oz Rogue Mom Hefeweizen?

I have a Mom Hefe bottle which lists Pacman as the yeast but I am a bit amazed that Pacman is so versatile that it is used for stouts, IPA, wheat beer, and more... REALLY???

Wow seems like the perfect house strain for a home brewer, and so gotta get some and try this out!

H22W said:
Should I have any trouble harvesting Pacman from a single 22-oz Rogue Mom Hefeweizen?

Maybe I'm not sure, you could so some searches to see if anyone has harvested from the Hefeweizen. You probably can, I would assume it's not filtered. I harvested mine from the yellow snow IPA last December and have made almost a dozen various batches with it...dogfish 60min clone, nut brown, stout, dead guy clone, and more. All of them have turned out great.

Wyeast's guide puts 60 at the bottom of the range. Is it a tight window at 60 then?

It's a high attenuator low Diacetyl, so what's the downside of fermenting it around 65-67?

This is my next yeast I want to harvest. Already have a good population going of Bells, but that gives the beer a slightly malty flavor. While it is nice, I need something that will rip through a double IPA I've been planning. Pacman sounds like just the ticket! Plus it finally gives me an excuse to buy some (what I think to be) over-priced Rogue beers.

If you are looking to harvest it, get a bottle that actually lists pacman yeast as an ingredient in the bottle. I think the choc and Shakespeare stout are good ones

Wyeast's guide puts 60 at the bottom of the range. Is it a tight window at 60 then?

It's a high attenuator low Diacetyl, so what's the downside of fermenting it around 65-67?

It pretty much ferments clean anywhere between 60 and 70 F. I have not tried it, but it supposedly is good down to 40 F.

I just put a starter from the bomber of chocolate stout on to the stir plate. Crossing my fingers all goes well, but at the same time i did get o drink most of the beer. :)

I don't know if it's the recipe or the yeast, but I am not a fan of Rogue. I have only found one beer of theirs that I like, double dead guy. Maybe it could be that pacman, since I like my beers malty and sweet?

Why harvest off of yellow snow after buying a six pack when you can get it pure from Wyeast (1764) and slant it?

Love pacman. I've used it in most of my beers the last year or so and it does like to chew up the sugars. I usually ferment at 62, but have also fermented at 65 and at 68. Either way, it's all good. If you're worried about it drying out your beer too much just up the mash temp by a degree or two and take samples during fermentation. I made a cream ale not long ago and mashed at 149. Let the primary go a full two weeks and ended up with a FG of 1.004. A little lower than I wanted and ended up having a 6% cream ale. I then turned around that yeast cake (well, made a small slurry from the cake) and made a Rye IPA which is just about done dry hopping! Very versatile yeast and I always have some on hand/stored.

I've done 15 gallons now with the dregs from a Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout and a Bitter IPA. Still have about 50 Billion cells left for my next batch. Pacman yeast are really easy to steal from Rogue.

Love pacman. I've used it in most of my beers the last year or so and it does like to chew up the sugars. I usually ferment at 62, but have also fermented at 65 and at 68. Either way, it's all good. If you're worried about it drying out your beer too much just up the mash temp by a degree or two and take samples during fermentation. I made a cream ale not long ago and mashed at 149. Let the primary go a full two weeks and ended up with a FG of 1.004. A little lower than I wanted and ended up having a 6% cream ale. I then turned around that yeast cake (well, made a small slurry from the cake) and made a Rye IPA which is just about done dry hopping! Very versatile yeast and I always have some on hand/stored.

This one was an extract with grains. I made it with some of the amber dme I had laying around with a half lb of honey malt and some citra.

periwinkle1239 said:
Maybe I'm not sure, you could so some searches to see if anyone has harvested from the Hefeweizen. You probably can, I would assume it's not filtered.

Seems to be working! I started with about 16oz of 1.020 wort in a Rogue Mom Hefeweizen bottle on Friday, cold crashed Saturday night then stepped it up to a quart of 1.030 this morning. For both steps I filled the bottle headspace with O2 and shook. I added more O2 a couple times before it started carbonating and been agitating it when ever I think to.

ForumRunner_20120429_180255.jpg

Latest posts

Back