Here's What I Started, What Will I Get And When?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncaMarc

Reaction score
I've posted a number of things about the various ciders I've started. I did one in about 30 days that was a BIG hit on Thanksgiving, though it was a miserable failure in my book.

So tonight I started a gallon. Here's what I did:

1 gallon of Kroger apple juice (pasteurized vitamin c no preservatives)
1 cup dark brown sugar dissolved over heat with 1 cup of water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 entire packet Red Star champagne yeast
Into 1 gallon jug, left room to roll
Air lock installed.

Specific gravity of juice ALONE was 1.050 at 58 degrees F
Specific gravity of juice PLUS sugar was 1.060 at 61 degrees F

What will I get and when? Looking to have the jug ready by Christmas. Today is November 27th.

Tell me what you think.

Cheers!

Oh, and I plan to wait for the major fermentation to settle down, then rack it off the lees, pour off a little of the cider and add a 12 oz can of apple juice concentrate, let it get working again then shove it in the fridge with a loose lid and hopefully serve it cold, sweet, tart, fizzy and at about 7% ABV.

Thoughts?

Sorry if this is obvious, but if you want it fizzy you'll need to bottle or keg it. Putting it in the fridge with the priming sugar (The apple juice concentrate) and a loose lid wont do much apart from slow fermentation down so you'll end up with it being sweet (but not fizzy)

But yeah other than that it sounds great.

You might want to let it ferment out dry, then back sweeten with your concentrate, bottle it and pasteurize the bottles once they are fizzy enough.

Back