Biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDCore

Reaction score
I have a 30L kettle which comes out to about 8 Gallons. I was hoping to go All Grain soon and hoped that this pot would be big enough to use for a BIAB setup. I really need some advice or a link or something to get this setup going. I have done 3 extracts and really into home brewing now and i was hoping to make the switch to All Grain soon.

Start with this handy dandy water volume calculator...then you may feel the need to keep an eye out for a bigger pot. I use a 60q Bayou Classic...which came with a wonderful strainer basket. The basket eliminates the worries that some have about the bag burning on the bottom of the pot or breaking open when lifting the grain out. Good luck.
http://beerreviewdude.com/biab-calculator/

That's the same size I use. I can mash up to 19 lbs of grain at a 1.2 ratio. Then I just pour my sparge water over my grains. You will need to figure out how you will drain the bag. Holding it over the pot for 15 minutes is not an option! A colander that fits over the top of the kettle is a good option depending on how wide your pot is.

You should be fine with that kettle, I have the same size and can easily do 10ish pounds of grain w/o sparging. Last weekend I had to sparge for the first time, 13#. I still ended up w/ a 69% efficiency sparging w/ 80ish degree water!
Like the poster above said, just make sure you can support the bag of wet grains, I use a hook/pulley to support the bag and squeeze the wholly he'll out of it. So far I have brewed a Blonde and a Kolsch and the blonde turned out great and the Kolsch is happily fermenting away.

As said above, in order to reach your volume you will need to sparge. This can be done by pouring water through the bag as it is above the pot with the bag sitting on a strainer...or by dunking the bag in another pot, cooler or bucket of sparge water, and then combining the wort back into the kettle.

Back