opening the container to sneak a smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
I am sure I am overthinking this, but I am curious if it is alright to sneak a peek and a smell of the brew. I am semi-worried that oxygen could get in etc. I ferment in one of these.

lg.jpg

Hopefully my curiosity hasn't been hurting the beer at all. When I have sneaked a smell and a peek I normally opened the larger spin cap and just peered in.

I know there is something about a CO2 layer being built up, and I understand that not much could hurt it within the first few days of fermentation, but could it possibly be hurt after a week or two of sitting in the primary and me doing this?

I can't help it its just so darn mesmerizing :)

Thank you very much for all the help so far.

Patton

Is that food grade plastic? And are you using an airlock? As for taking a peek, the less you expose it to the elements the better off you will be, less risk of infection. But, after it has had a chance to create some alcohol you run less of a risk of contamination. The most prudent route to take is to let it be as much as possible, if you really need to take a peek just use common sense and good sanitary practices.

Cheers

I would minimize opening the lid before fermentation starts and after it dies down, but while the yeast are going at it, it's pretty safe.

Yeah, its food grade #2 HDPE BPA free. I couldn't get around to drilling for a grommet so I just used the balloon method and it seemed to work fine. I've done it on a few of my wine experiment batches and haven't had any off flavors( from the balloon haha). I just put the balloon where you would let air out if one was to pour it.

But the general consensus seems to not do it to much, so I will let it sit for a couple more weeks untouched.

Thanks for the speedy responses!

Patton

Have a little patience. Don't open the lid. You're only risking infection. Just smell the airlock like the rest of us. :mug:

+1 on sniffing the airlock. If it's not bubbling, just press down on the lid a bit to push a little air through the lock. Works every time. ;)

+1 on sniffing the airlock. If it's not bubbling, just press down on the lid a bit to push a little air through the lock. Works every time. ;)

Don't push down on the lid or it'll suck water back from your airlock. This is a good way to get infected water into your beer. If you fill your airlock with vodka like a lot of people on here then it's no big deal. :mug:

This thread is timely as I just sniffed the airlock of my second batch. It smells nice and somewhat sweet (MW Big Ben Pale Ale).

Back