Toasting oats? Or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnarlybarley

Reaction score
Should I toast my oats in the oven or not? I've seen recipes that do and some do not. I'm interested in how it will affect the final beer and mash efficiency.

I'm doing a BIAB partial mash oatmeal stout.

1.5 lb 2 row
1 lb oats
.75 lb chocolate malt
.75 lb victory
.5 lb crystal 80
.5 lb roasted barley
adding 3 lbs DME into the boil.

Thanks

Not sure if toasting will help your efficiency, but I toast mine when I make an oatmeal stout. I like the flavor, but I wouldn't say its a huge difference.

Hammy71 said:
Not sure if toasting will help your efficiency, but I toast mine when I make an oatmeal stout. I like the flavor, but I wouldn't say its a huge difference.

+1 I've done toast and no toast.

It's been a while since I toasted oats, but I don't recall a marked difference. No harm giving it a try...that way you can decide if it's what you prefer.

Cheers

I think you are going to have a tough time noticing a difference in flavor if you toast the oats in a stout. There are a lot of heavy duty roasty flavors in a stout. The subtle roastiness added by roasting oats would be lost in the mix.

It isnt going to hurt anything, but I don't feel its worth the trouble in a stout.

Per Brewing Classic Styles:

Its mainly a flavor thing. Oats in general add to the mouth feel and body. Untoasted they don't add much oat flavor. Toasted to golden brown they will add some oat / biscuity flavors.

I always toast mine when making oatmeal stout. But I think you can go either way depending on the flavor you are going for.

Back