Pvc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not use PVC I would CPVC due to the hotter temps of the mash. I have had my CPVC manifold on for many years now with no problems.

U know my buddy said the same thing because of off flavors so I switched to a copper manifold

I would not use PVC I would CPVC due to the hotter temps of the mash. I have had my CPVC manifold on for many years now with no problems.

Agreed. Using regular PVC at mashing temps can leach solvents out of the material that would get in your beer. Not good. If you're going the non-metal manifold route, use CPVC. It will not contaminate your mash. I've used my CPVC manifold for the last 21 batches I've made, and it's still as good as it was Day 1. Cheap and easy to make and safe to use. :ban:

image-2428393076.jpg

I'm not sure about the mash but some people swear by copper in the boil. Disclaimer: I use copper pipe as a form for my stainless braid and leave my wort chiller in for the entire boil.

metalpysko said:
Im still trying to get my brew rig right and make sure there are no screw ups with it

Don't worry about being perfect out of the gate. If you are the type to build your own equipment you are going to find flaws and change things later anyway.

Yea this is my second go around with this brew rig I found a few flaws the first time and fixed them mainly heating issues the reason I went with copper was off flavors coming from the PVC and screwing up my batches I haven't had a good batch since I moved over here to Alaska and I'm trying to do process of elimination

metalpysko said:
Yea this is my second go around with this brew rig I found a few flaws the first time and fixed them mainly heating issues the reason I went with copper was off flavors coming from the PVC and screwing up my batches I haven't had a good batch since I moved over here to Alaska and I'm trying to do process of elimination

Water?

I get my water from a spring the local city water isn't that great someone said it was great for iPas so I am going to try it today

Back