Copper Knob Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castlefreak

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
Yeast Starter
500 mL
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
42 HCU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 65 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 65 degrees
Tasting Notes
Malty up front with a crisp finish of roasted grain.
3.15 lbs. NB Organic Light LME
1.5 lbs. NB Gold LME (60 min.)
1.5 lbs. NB Gold LME (last 15 min.)
4 oz. brown sugar (60 min.)

8 oz. Breiss Organic C-60 Crystal
3 oz. Roasted barley
4 oz. Cara-Pils
1 oz. Biscuit
1 oz. Chocolate malt

1 oz. Willamette hops 4.5% AA (60 min)
.5 oz. US Goldings hops 5% AA (30 min)

Slowly bring specialty grains and water to ~170F over the course of 30 minutes, remove grains and start the boil. I started with a full boil of 6 gallons.

A friend and I each entered into a competition for Irish and Scottish ales only. I made a Scottish Export (my last name is Scott) and he made an Irish Red (his last name is literally "Irish") but those two didn't score well. We had an idea to each cut our recipes in half and brew a hybrid of the two and this is the result of the experiment. It still falls under the style guidelines for an irish red ale and ended up getting fifth place in the competition.

What are buscuit grains? never heard of it. would it be possible to skip those? the place i get my stuff does not sell it.

I read that you can toast base malt in the oven at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, roll them around, then put back in for another 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Biscuit malt lends a "bready" character, but we used so little that I'm sure you could just scrap it and add one more ounce of carapils.

Biscuit malt is another name for amber malt sometimes also called victory. they should have that at all brew shops it's kinda standard unless your in a small city if your in canada look up noble grape in Halifax ns they ship for cheap no order to small.. Cara pils won't give you the same effect to make it worth subbing... Roasting 2-row makes crystal malt I'm not sure ( I don't think) it makes amber malt.

Latest posts

Back