Yep I'm a newbie and I need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino3351

Reaction score
When i went to bottle my homwbrew there was alot of residue and i mean alot. but i didnt know if that was normal so i bottled anyway trying to keep it out of my bottles. now 2 weeks later i hold my bottles up to the light and i can see things floating around. it almost looks like loogies. am i screwed??

Residue where? In the fermenter? Was it caked at the bottom or floating around? How long did you leave the beer in primary? Did you use a secondary?
These questions are really just to pin down exactly what you are seeing, but regardless what your answers are, your beer is probably fine.

It should settle out. Just remember to pour gently and leave the last 1/4 to 1/2 inch in the bottle.

If you are bottle conditioning, you'll get some crud anyway even if the beer was crystal clear to begin with.

Prost!

That residue is normal. It's trub and yeast particulates. It's good for you too, although it gives some people the awesome beer farts. This may or may not be a bad thing.

Thanks everyone for their help its really cool for a beginner to have somewhere to turn for advice.

Back