Question about water analysis from Kroger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaobrien6

Reaction score
I asked for details on the Drinking and Spring water products that they sell at our local Fred Meyer grocery store (a Kroger chain). Our water in Seattle is actually good, I was just interested in seeing how this water was because for a buck or two sometimes it's easier to buy some to supplement your water. The results that came back on the Drinking water product were all "None Detected" for everything I asked for (Alkalinity, Ca, Mg, Sulfate, etc...).

Is that actually possible? I would have expected that from a Distilled water, but not the Drinking water product. The Spring water, which I also asked for, actually had numbers which makes perfect sense.

BTW, this is what they gave me if anyone else is interested:

This is what I'm interested in: Drinking Spring
Alkalinity ND 46 mg/liter
Hardness ND 50
Calcium ND 12
Magnesium ND 5.6
Sulfate ND ND
Sodium ND 5
Chloride ND 5.1

No other thoughts? Do I really believe them that the drinking water product has no detectable traces of anything?

No other thoughts? Do I really believe them that the drinking water product has no detectable traces of anything?

I'm pretty sure the Kroger Drinking Water is RO water, at least it is around here. Closely check the label. If it's Reverse Osmosis water then it'd be stripped pretty clean, like distilled.

most of the water you get at stores that say spring water ar actually tap water that has been ran through an RO system. I deal with water chemistry every day, the main thing i see in most tap water that would effect our brews is chlorine. About 1.5ppm. You can remove it with sodium bisulfite (its a 1-1 exchange) or boilit out. The bisulfite is the most effective but difficult to measure for a 7 gal batch. I just use it srait off the tap and havent had any issues. Maybe one of the ol vets has a better answer.

Latest posts

Back