Wort Chiller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWest

Reaction score
Hey guys...I'm a couple days after pitching the yeast on my first batch, and I want to get some things I need/want before my next batch. I had a question on the immersion wort chillers. Do they hook up to a standard kitchen sink, or do they need to hook up to an outdoor garden hose type spigot? If it won't attach to a normal kitchen sink, are there attachments I can buy to make this happen?

This is the one I was looking at.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If it won't attach to a normal kitchen sink, are there attachments I can buy to make this happen?
That is the ticket. "normal" is the keyword, too. Some faucets, like mine, are not normal.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/faucet-adapter.html
Any brew supply and any hardware store sells these things for cheap.

edit: The amount NB wants is outrageous, BTW. These are typically under $2. Also, I recommend getting the chiller and taking it along with the piece from your faucet to a plumbing store or hardware store with plumbing section and getting an adapter you know fits your rig.

i put in a t bracket off my ice maker on my fridge and use that as a water supply because my sink faucet would not work and there is a foot of snow making my outside faucets not work either. all mine are 1/4" diameters and they work okay.

I'm considering running a hose from outside to make this work, unless anyone has a better idea.
If you don't feel threads on your faucet but you see an aerator then you most likely can unscrew the aerator and find exposed threads beneath. If you have a extendable faucet, like me, many times they are molded and/or proprietary threads. These can be unscrewed at the hose and an adapter fitted to that instead.

are you using a kitchen faucet? you should be able to unscrew the tip to most kitchen faucets to use the screw in adapter. my faucet in my basement was a solid one piece so I ran a hose outside for a while but that was too much work so I ended up just replacing the faucet.

If you don't feel threads on your faucet but you see an aerator then you most likely can unscrew the aerator and find exposed threads beneath. If you have a extendable faucet, like me, many times they are molded and/or proprietary threads. These can be unscrewed at the hose and an adapter fitted to that instead.

This is exactly what I have. I just went to see if I could unscrew the tip of the faucet, and I definitely have an aerator. Never had any reason to investigate this before...thanks for the help! I should be able to use the chiller I linked to now.

You have to unscrew the diffuser then install a faucet/hose adapter from any hardware store.

2130007324_090608_dp.jpg

Back