Cracked Bine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoots

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The wind during a recent storm cracked one of my bigger cascade bines near the ground. It is cracked parallel with the bine so that the bine still grows. What should I do? It appears as though I may lose that bine soon.

Thanks,
Scott

I had a bine crack in may and I just made a splint with a twig and some duct tape... Sounds ghetto but it worked. The bine is currently about 22 or 23 feet long and its going strong.

Mr Miyagi used medical wrap to nurse his bonsai tree back to health....remember?

You could also put a sweater on it so it doesn't catch a cold in its vulnerable state.

bonsai-sweater.jpg

When something bends over a plant I love I do this...

Depending on the size of the stalk, in this case a bine, cut a 6-12" piece of tubing {drinking straw, clear tubing, etc} cut it longways, remove any leaves around the damage and slid it over a heathy section down onto the damaged area. This will support it and after a monthe or so a big knot {Scar} will develope and it wil be ok.

It will all be ok.

They're actually pretty resilient. I've crack bines (even this year - 2yr old) across the axis (the short way) in organizing growth, stringing lines, etc., and i feared the whole bine would cash it in. As long as i put it back together reasonably well and reinforced the bine, it kept living and produced fairly well. Surprises me to this day.

When something bends over a plant I love I do this...

Depending on the size of the stalk, in this case a bine, cut a 6-12" piece of tubing {drinking straw, clear tubing, etc} cut it longways, remove any leaves around the damage and slid it over a heathy section down onto the damaged area. This will support it and after a monthe or so a big knot {Scar} will develope and it wil be ok.

It will all be ok.

That's a great idea.

Back