Excited... bottled first brew... brewed 3rd on same day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

year2beer

Reaction score
Just bottled my cream stout... thought I would share. OG 10625
FG. 10200

FLAVOR: Comes on sweet, finishes clean and highly hoppy... malty tones linger on the pallet. Hops need some bottle conditioning... to smooth/equalize with the sugars.

I bottled after 2 weeks. Plan to condition for 14-21 days in bottle. My buddy said it was a lighter version of guiness...

I'm pretty happy since I had to re- pitch dry after the wyeast never fermented.

Thoughts?

Just bottled my cream stout... thought I would share. OG 10625
FG. 10200

I bottled after 2 weeks. Plan to condition for 14-21 days in bottle. My buddy said it was a lighter version of guiness...

I'm pretty happy since I had to re- pitch dry after the wyeast never fermented.

Thoughts?

With an OG that high (and a FG pretty high too), I wouldn't have bottled it so early. Be prepared for some bottle bombs. Cover the bottles with a blanket or something, and keep them COOL!

As for a lighter version of Guiness... You're looking around 7% ABV there, and Guiness is typically like 4% ABV, so I think someone meant "Heavier"

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated!

Guinness is a very light beer. It is a commom misconception that guiness is heavy because it is served from a nitro tap. Also it uses roasted barley instead of malted barley so its very light.

1.020 might not be too high to finish depending on the recipe. Some stouts do finish that high.

But I agree another week in the fermenter might have been better.

1.020 might not be too high to finish depending on the recipe. Some stouts do finish that high.

But I agree another week in the fermenter might have been better.

I typically say anything 1.050 and below can finish in 2 weeks, but anything over that should set longer accordingly.

This theory isn't science as much as experience.

Actually,the FG isn't too high. My Buckeye Burton ale was OG 1.065,FG 1.018. It stopped at 1.020,so I warmed it & swirled it gently to rouse some yeast. Went down to 1.018 for a week,bottled last Sunday.
As of now,it's already settled clear,& no bottle bombs yet. Some beers that are intended to be malt heavy,maybe a little sweet will do that. Mine took 5 weeks to get it finished & settled out well. So 2 weeks is a tad short usually,but not always.
Looks like that theory is working so far. It worked for the Burton brewers for a couple hundred years...:mug:

I checked the Gravity and swirled 4 days in a row. It didn't budge.

To experiment, I actually left 2 gallons fermenting another week... only bottled half the carboy.

I'm actually going to do a side by side taste test to see if letting it ride an extra week in the fermenter is worth it (especially after no movement on my gravity reads).

A few notes: bubbling and Krausen were gone after 3 days... I checked the gravity after a week and it was at 1.028... My target gravity to keep it at 5% ABV was 1.020 give or take. I was satisfied bottling...

To be safe I did 2/3rds the recommended priming sugar (per the calculators)... and John palmer's charts

I really want a dessert beer that I can sip on with the wife after a warm meal in the winter time... I've got all the bottles boxed up and sitting in a plastic bucket covered-- any bottle bombs are welcome, cause it'll be easy clean up.

I PERSONALLY LOVE MAKING MISTAKES... I figure I'll learn more--and the kid scientist in me likes to figure out WHY things happen...

Awesome feedback though... keep it coming!

Latest posts

Back