Sulphur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nman13

Reaction score
I made wine from grapes 1 month ago and it is currently sitting in the secondary fermenter. Last week the wine started smelling of really strong sulphur. I know that sulphur is a by product of yeast. But can there be too much? Is there a way to reduce this smell or do I wait it out? Can i test the aulphur somehow? Note that the wine tastes fine it just smells funny. Also I added malolactic bacteria while it smelled this way will that cause the bacteria to be ineffective?

I would suggest "rack and splashing". Go ahead aerate it and this will dissipate the smell. Also add some yeast nutrient.

Which yeast did you use? I had a bad problem with R212, apparently that yeast needs more nutrients. The splash racking did help for mine.

okay if it is done fermenting no need to add nutrients, if not yes add nutrients and aerate. if it is finished fermenting pour it into a bucket and add k meta, get a power drill with a paint mixer on it or use a paddle manually and stir the living crap out of. I would stir it for like a half hour or so. then splash rack it into a carboy and top off. wait about a week and smell it again. if it still smells repeat the procedure only this time use a copper pipe to stir it with. if that doesnt work then you may have a severe sulphur problem and you can either dump it or use copper sulfate and risk getting sick from copper poisoning...good luck.

I have conducted an ML fermentation and read that oxygen kills the bacteria. I see some Co2 bubbles at the top so it looks like the ML is working. Can i wait till the ML fermentation is done to aerate the wine or will this be a problem? also what should i use to stabilize before bottling as i assume adding more so2 would be a bad idea....

nman13 said:
I have conducted an ML fermentation and read that oxygen kills the bacteria. I see some Co2 bubbles at the top so it looks like the ML is working. Can i wait till the ML fermentation is done to aerate the wine or will this be a problem? also what should i use to stabilize before bottling as i assume adding more so2 would be a bad idea....

Let ML finish before you do anything. It could be a couple of months. Then add a dose of K-Meta before bottling.

Do not aerate the wine! It will aid in oxidizing your wine.

Back