New Member - 1st Brew: Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCSU_05_FX4

Reaction score
First time brewer, glad to meet y'all! This weekend my wife and I brewed a batch of Oatmeal Stout.

The ingredients:
02 ingredients.JPG

That's 6.6 pounds of Light American Malt Extract
8oz Roasted Barley
4oz Crystal 120L
1lb Flaked Oats
1oz Hops
Yeast

Started with 2.5 gallons of filtered water and heated to 155 degrees.
03 water.JPG

Bagged up the oatmeal,
04 oatmeal.JPG

and other steeping grains,
05 steepinggrains.JPG

and steeped them for 30 minutes.
06 steep.JPG

-darker-
07 steep.JPG

-and darker-
08 steep.JPG

-and darker still-
09 steep.JPG

Steeping complete.
10 steepdone.JPG

Next we dissolved the 2 bags of malt extract while stirring.
11 malt.JPG

We put it back on the heat and brought it to a boil. Once boiling we added the hop pellets,
18 hops.JPG

and continued to boil for 45 minutes,
20 boil.JPG

before adding the Irish Moss,
17 moss.JPG

and boiling for another 15 minutes.

At this point we sterilized everything with 1 tbsp of Beer-Brite per gallon and water; everything got soaked and rinsed.

Yeast time!
26 yeast.JPG

Prepared by adding it to 4oz of warm water, covering and waiting 20 minutes. In the meantime, the wort was cooled using an ice bath.
29 icebath.JPG

Once cooled, the yeast slurry was mixed in and everything poured into the fermenter. I used a screen to filter out the hops and other solids present.
30 fermenter.JPG

33 fermenter.JPG

Last thing we did was take a reading...
35 og.JPG

This reading of 1.050 (not temperature adjusted) is expected as the recipe estimated an OG of 1.055.

Finally we sealed it up, and stored it away in the basement where it's about 67-68 degrees.
34 fermenter.JPG

very nice im about to brew a batch of oatmeal stout this weekend. What kind of yeast are you going to use. Im going to use white labs liquid yeast this time instead of dry from my first batch of Irish red ale

Back