The cigar thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
My homebrew club is having a Stout & Stogie party and I'm pretty much a cigar noob. One of the members is having a roll yer own class for $5 so I'm going to do that. Tonight I'm going to local cigar bar to buy a cigar or two and an inexpensive cutter and hopefully to learn to at least not look like such a noob with a cigar (like puking or whatever). I've smoked cigarettes for many years.

I've done some googling and about.com'ing just to be able to make this post (I'd have never known I needed a cutter or that there is a cigar bar right up the road).

How many cigars would one expect to consume at such a party?
Any recommendations on 'beginner' cigars to buy (I've got the about.com top 5 list).

I used to hate coffee...love it now.
I used to hate Scotch...love it now.
New vice for me? Just buy a $500 humidor now?

Any help/discussion appreciated...even bad Monica Lewinsky jokes.

I love cigars but don't get to smoke them often at all. You will probably only smoke one or two. There are already a few threads on here that have some really good ones listed.

I work for a cigar company based in Miami, here's our website.

http://drewestate.com

Our ACID cigar line is one of the most popular lines for beginning smokers. Our sticks are infused with botanicals and oils which make them totally unique. Don't think of them as "flavored", because they are nothing like the piece-of-crap Phillies, etc.

If you aren't interested in infused or flavored cigars, there are tons of other choices out there. Our Chateau Real line is also very popular among new smokers, as it is a light, flavorful cigar.

Also, typically when I used to go to "herfs", the accepted name for a cigar get together, I would smoke 2-3 cigars over the course of the evening. I would invest in a humidor that holds ~100 cigars at least. When humidor marketing says it holds 100, it really means around 75.

I use a cooler to hold my many boxes of cigars, and they work incredibly well. They're airtight, and hold humidity and temperature very well. Here's an article I wrote on building my cooler humidor, called a Coolidor.

http://beerreviewdude.com/random/my-new-coolidor-project/

For humidification, I would use beads. The green foam that comes in normal humidors sucks, and tends to get moldy pretty quickly. Here are the beads we sell.

http://shop.drewestate.com/category/cigar-mechanic

Lastly, I would pick up a digital hygrometer, which is a unit that measures Relative Humidity in your humidor. The analog hygrometers that come built in to a lot of humidors are totally inaccurate. You can pick up a digital hygrometer from Walmart for about $6, near the thermostats.

The owner of the cigar bar should be able to suggest a good noob cigar for you. I would suggest something on the mild-medium range, say a Macanudo, rather than a full-bodied. I spent way too many years of my youth smoking bad Mexican/ditch weed, and even that didn't prepare me for a full-bodied cigar.

Also, since you've been a cigarette smoker, remember one VERY important thing...DON'T INHALE!!!

Find a good stout to go along with your cigar. I've had Goose Island's Bourbon County, or my own Bourbon Oatmeal Stout hold up very well to a cigar.

The owner of the cigar bar should be able to suggest a good noob cigar for you. I would suggest something on the mild-medium range, say a Macanudo, rather than a full-bodied.

I agree, but I'd STRONGLY recommend avoiding Macanudos, they taste like absolutely nothing. Not a good example of a good cigar at all. I would avoid the mass produced cigars in general. Macanudos are like the Budweiser of the cigar world. It's technically beer, but not many people would consider it delicious, flavorful beer.

New vice for me? Just buy a $500 humidor now?

Start looking into wine coolers that you'll convert into humidors so you can maintain perfect temperature along with humidity down there in Floriduh for all of those boxes of legitimate Cubans you order from (censored) and wait with sweaty palms for them to sneak through customs to your front door. Then there's the dreaded CC bill...

Start looking into wine coolers that you'll convert into humidors so you can maintain perfect temperature along with humidity down there in Floriduh for all of those boxes of legitimate Cubans you order from (censored) and wait with sweaty palms for them to sneak through customs to your front door. Then there's the dreaded CC bill...

Yup, yup. Also, stay away from CigarBid.com. It is possibly the most addictive auction site on the face of the earth.

Yup, yup. Also, stay away from CigarBid.com. It is possibly the most addictive auction site on the face of the earth.

Couldn't agree with that more. You will blow through money quicker than you can imagine on there.

As it'll be your first time, I'd hold back a little & keep it to 1-2 cigars. It tends to creep up on you & you'll go from feeling a little uneasy to puking in very little time. I would try to find some good cigars in the mild-med range, I agree Macanudos taste like nothing. An Acid is a great way to start if you don't mind a little extra sweetness, personally I enjoy them as a change of pace.

The list of beginner cigars is ok, but you definitely don't have to spend very much to get good tasting cigars. One of my favorite brands (Indian Tabac) makes very cheap cigars that are excellent.

If you get into it, no need to go crazy & buy an expensive humidor. As noted above a cooler with some beads works wonders, it takes all the guesswork out of keeping cigars (I recommend the 65% beads).

Also, I've heard the Liga Privada line (made by Drew Estate) is excellent, just haven't had a chance to to try one myself yet.

Last note, I smoked cigars for about 5 years & have almost entirely converted to smoking a pipe now. I enjoy both immensely. Both pair very well with beer.

Sounds like fun, have a good time! :rockin:

The cigar shop should be able to point you in the right direction. I've smoked quite a few and like beers I like to try different ones. I wouldn't recommend buying a humidor. You may not like smoking cigars. Many people don't. 2 should be pleanty. Smoking a huge cigar takes time. It's not like pounding brews. Sounds like a fun party.

Thanks for the responses. The guy at the store knew a bit about cigars but didn't seem to be super knowledgeable. He also smoked cigarettes and said the mild ones aren't quite enough for him. He did go straight for the Macanudos but I ended up getting an Oliva Serie O, a Rocky Patel 1999 Torpedo, and a Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic, and a cheapo cutter. This place was hardly a bar so I didn't stay but I'm gonna fire one up after dinner here in a bit.

For Stouts I'm bringing bombers of Southern Tier Choklat, Great Divide Yeti, Lagunitas Cappucino Stout, and 2010 Firestone Parabola.

The Rocky Patel sounds good, for a really good mild smoke I suggest to my friends a Rocky Patel Connecticut, Olivas are good too. I haven't as yet tried an Acid, I guess the notion of an infused cigar brings to mind a cheapy flavored cigar. Reading the comments though from jbrookeiv, I might have to try one.

I haven't as yet tried an Acid, I guess the notion of an infused cigar brings to mind a cheapy flavored cigar. Reading the comments though from jbrookeiv, I might have to try one.

Yea, ACIDs are all premium, long filler tobacco. Nothing cheap about them. Hope you enjoy them!

Thanks for the responses. The guy at the store knew a bit about cigars but didn't seem to be super knowledgeable. He also smoked cigarettes and said the mild ones aren't quite enough for him. He did go straight for the Macanudos but I ended up getting an Oliva Serie O, a Rocky Patel 1999 Torpedo, and a Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic, and a cheapo cutter. This place was hardly a bar so I didn't stay but I'm gonna fire one up after dinner here in a bit.

For Stouts I'm bringing bombers of Southern Tier Choklat, Great Divide Yeti, Lagunitas Cappucino Stout, and 2010 Firestone Parabola.

I'd say those are good choices. Oliva makes great cigars, try their Serie V if you get a chance.

All good advice from previous posters.

Drew Estates used to have some spectacular smokes like the White Rabbit Maduro (which went great with a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout) but the line died out some years ago. I haven't been back since.

Coolidors and tupperdors are the best way to start but aren't that pretty. If you have your heart set on a humidor, go bigger than your original thought and don't go ebay.

Cbid isn't that bad as long as you have no life and lots of extra cash to burn.

Herfs are a great way to meet folks and to swap sticks.

ISOMs (Island South Of Miami) are expensive, illegal, and not always real. Be careful.

The Rocky Patel sounds good, for a really good mild smoke I suggest to my friends a Rocky Patel Connecticut, Olivas are good too. I haven't as yet tried an Acid, I guess the notion of an infused cigar brings to mind a cheapy flavored cigar. Reading the comments though from jbrookeiv, I might have to try one.
The Rocky Patel I got says 'Connecticut' on it, the guy at the store made it sound like it had to do with the wrap (it is lighter colored than the other two).

I tried the Garcia last night and it wasn't too strong at all. I quickly found that I need to 'slow down' when drawing on a cigar, I'm used to taking a quick puff off a cigarette and getting plenty of smoke. Cigars just don't have that same quick 'throttle response'. Once I did that I started enjoying it. I didn't finish it though, only smoked about half.

La Flor Dominicana Figuado is an excellent mild/med cigar to start with. I personally stay away from flavored smokes, but to each his own....

Your right Connecticut is the style of wrapper. It is a light, mild wrapper. There are lots of places to get cigar info

CigarPass.com is internet cigar home, but dont be an asshat or they will rip ya a new one.

You picked out some pretty good cigars, the Pepin might plant you, but they are really good smokes, nice peppery finish, might wanna have food in you for that one.

The Oliva is a good smoke, but the series V is better IMHO. Also if you can find a Rocky Patel Edge Sumatra, that is a great smoke, and not to strong either.

I have only been smoking for about 4 years, but it is a great way to relax, and always go might well with a friend and a homebrew.

Tim

CigarPass.com is internet cigar home, but dont be an asshat or they will rip ya a new one.

+1 to cigarpass.com. I have tried many other cigar forums and most of them are a bunch of ******** but CP is great.

+1 to cigarpass.com. I have tried many other cigar forums and most of them are a bunch of ******** but CP is great.

I was on cigar asylum for a long time, which was a new forum that splintered off from one of the bigger forums with a ton of the nicer people. Just haven't spent much time with cigars lately...

Glad you enjoyed the Pepin, he makes great cigars. His factory is about 10 minutes from ours in Nicaragua, I've visited it a few times.

Tatuaje is another brand, manufactured by Pepin but owned by this guy Pete Johnson. Those are great cigars as well. Also, Illusione makes an awesome cigar as well.

Glad you enjoyed the Pepin, he makes great cigars. His factory is about 10 minutes from ours in Nicaragua, I've visited it a few times.

Tatuaje is another brand, manufactured by Pepin but owned by this guy Pete Johnson. Those are great cigars as well. Also, Illusione makes an awesome cigar as well.

When Pete can make a non Limited release cigar again I may start smoking them once more....

Dion on the other hand....man he puts out good stuff

When Pete can make a non Limited release cigar again I may start smoking them once more....

Dion on the other hand....man he puts out good stuff

Pete's Brown and Red Labels are great, and non-limited. But yes, having to chase cigars is annoying. I'm lucky enough to be a friend of Pete's, so we generally get his limited stuff around the office or when I'm down in Nica at our factory.

Dion at Illusione puts out some great sticks. Have you tried anything from our Liga Privada line? I think you would thoroughly enjoy them if you dug Pete's stuff.

All this talk and the weather warming up makes me really need to go home and have a smoke.

All this talk and the weather warming up makes me really need to go home and have a smoke.

I took my jacket off for the walk back to the office after a 2 beer lunch at the Blind Tiger. That and this thread have made me want to break out all sorts of sticks from their long winter storage.

The #9 are really good!!!

I am a firm beleiver in the Red label Tats, also like the red tubo. I really love Pete's stuff, just turned off somewhat by almost all his stuff turning into a HTF....being in Brussels means a never gonna find...but I do have access to other really good cigars that are HTF in the States so I guess it works out.

Tim

Romeo y Julieta No. 4; preferrably cuban, but dominican is okay....

+1. Cant beat a good cuban cigar. Also like Monte 4's and RASCC.

International Cigar Club is a great place to learn about cigars and find people to trade with.

I have been trying to get some monte #2 and psd4 but just don't have the money for a full box.

What is a Don Simon? Friend of mine went to Honduras years ago and gave me two, forgot I had them. They've been in my air conditioned home for years so I guess they're shot. They look fine though.

What is a Don Simon? Friend of mine went to Honduras years ago and gave me two, forgot I had them. They've been in my air conditioned home for years so I guess they're shot. They look fine though.

I'm sure they are totally dried out at this point, they probably aren't even worth smoking at this point.

You could always try re-hydrating them for a cool exploding cigar trick. :D

Seriously though, when cigars dry out past a certain point they lose a bunch of their oils, thus losing a great majority of their flavor, regardless of what you do to "revive" them.

Yea I figured they were shot, they were probably a natty-light-type cigar anyway. Since the Pepin was not strong and I just happened to be right next to the cigar shop today so I popped in and got something more robust to try, a Cohiba Extra Vigoroso.

Party was lot of fun, weather was perfect. I smoked the Rocky Patel and the Oliva and liked the Oliva way better. I think something was wrong with the Patel as it just wouldn't burn evenly and sort of came unraveled near the lit end a couple of times. Still haven't smoked the Cohiba.

But the bottom line is that I do like cigars. I really liked the Oliva and will try a Serie V.

How were storing them? It is possible the Rocky dried out some. If you are just keeping a few at a time for now there is no need to get a humidor. Some tupperware or even a ziplock bag and a "humidipak" will work great. Most cigar shops will sells the humidipaks for just a few bucks each and they last 2-3 months.

Back