Explain please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ti28

Reaction score
Can anyone explain why the batch is so much darker on top then it is on the bottom. It's a Irish red ale. And doesn't it seem a little to dark?

DSC00311.jpg

all beers look way too dark in a carboy. it's lighter at the bottom because you have alot of trub/sediment that is settling to the bottom right now, and it reflects the light more than where the beer is clearer on top.

everything's fine! :)

Assume btw you just moved it there for the picture?

that clear carboy looks like its sitting in some sun light.

It's starting to clear from the top down, therefore the stuff above is clear and is close to the color of beer. The lower layers are lighter because of all the yeast and other proteins still in suspension.

Relax. It's how it's supposed to look.

Yes it was moved for the picture. It's been sitting in a closet with a towel rapped around it.

And that is not sun light, that's the camera flash.

When you rack the beer to your bottling bucket, look at the color of the beer in your siphon tubing. That will be closer to the color of your finished beer.

Hey, tell me how you did that! I've been wanting to brew a black and tan for a long time now, but I have never found the recipe!

Ha ha, but yeah, it's very normal. You can cold crash it to speed up the settling, or use gelatin or whatever. I just chill for a few days if I want the beer VERY clear.

Back