Scottish Heavy Scottish Ale 80 Shilling (2nd place HBT Comp)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boar Beer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1728
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 @68
Tasting Notes
Nice and malty
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 77.61 %
1.0 lbs Crystal 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.97 %
1.0 lbs Crystal 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.97 %
0.75 lbs Crystal 120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.48 %
2.00 oz Goldings, Eask Kent[5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.0 IBU

Mash at 158 degrees for 60 minutes. Boil 60 minutes. Cool to low 60s and pitch starter. Ferment/condition in primary for 3-4 weeks before bottling or kegging.

This beer scored a 42 in the 2009 HBT competition and placed 2nd in the Scottish and Irish Ale category (9A-9E).

Can this recipe be cut in half for a 5gal batch size - or - would some modifications be needed?

Thanks.

68° for a Scottish ale fermentation seems really high! Is that a typo?

Good catch. I just checked my notes and I fermented it in the low 60s. I would have fermented cooler, but I made it in July and that was as cool as I could get it. The 68 degrees was for the other recipe I posted that day, my Special Bitter.

Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe... I made this for my first ever batch on Halloween! It has turned out really nice, and I am getting pretty good complements from it...

so, i calculate 95% efficiency....

is that accurate? or am I missing something?

Boar Beer is my dad. I just compared the recipe I posted to the one I have in Beer Smith and I noticed that I missed an ingredient. I also had one pound of Vienna malt. According to Beer Smith I had 87% efficiency, which is fairly typical for my system. Thank you for pointing this out to me and I apologize to anyone who has already brewed this recipe. I will try to be more careful in the future.

ah, great for clearing that up!

no worries, i was just wondering. i might be brewing this up in the near future.

thanks!

is the 10gal a type-o??? dosen't seem like nearly enough grain for 10 gallons.i want to brew this for my next batch but don't want screw it up

Its 16.75 lbs of grain (if you read the thread you can see that I accidentally omitted 1 lb of Vienna malt) for a 1.052 beer assuming 87% efficiency. If your efficiency is the 70s, add another 2 to 3 lbs of base malt to make up the difference.

I made brewed this about 2.5 months ago. My efficincy jumped up to 85% for this batch so it's out of style for the 80/-, but man is it tasty. I actually had a fellow homebrewer (he's been brewin since 97) tell me it is a competition worthy beer, and that was after only 2 weeks in the bottle. Thanks for the recipe, definitly going to be one of my regular beers.

I'm glad this recipe was a success for you as well! Now that I'm brewing commercially (Squam Brewing), I might end up making this beer at some point and selling it. I just need to think of a good name that ties into the Squam Lake theme I have going and get a label approved. Thanks for reminding me!

Jock McSquamlake Scottish Ale. (Mc = "Son of")

This recipe is the way my bitters are heading as my tastes change more and more to the malty side. Looks nice!! :)

So you would add 1lb of Vienna to this? I know you said you missed that in the original recipe.

Yes, I would add the vienna to your grain bill. If there was a way for me to edit the recipe on the first post I would have done so, but unfortunately it can't be done (at least not that I'm aware of). Happy brewing :mug:

I just got my scoresheets back from the competition I entered this into. I got a 42! Needless to say I'm happy with that. I made it to the mini-BOS but apparently there were some spot on scottish ales.

I just got my scoresheets back from the competition I entered this into. I got a 42! Needless to say I'm happy with that. I made it to the mini-BOS but apparently there were some spot on scottish ales.

Congrats! I'm glad the recipe worked out for you as well as it did for me. I really need to make this beer again...

I'm brewing this at the moment. I went with the White labs Edinburgh yeast. Hopefully it will impart the smoky peaty flavors. I did notice in my research that generally Scottish ale don't use a lot of crystal malts, but more roasted barley to color or flavor. I went with this recipe cause it used what I had available. I just hope my basement stay cool as the weather warms up. Interested to see how it turns out.

Thanks!

Very nice recipe. I scaled this up based on my 70% efficiency including the vienna plus added a pound of carapils. Fermented with SO4.

Here we are almost a year later and this recipe is up next. It had more roasty bitterness than I would have liked early in the keg but after a couple of months in the keg had mellowed nicely!

I brewed this for a club competition - it blew the doors off everyone elses Category 9 entries and was moved on to a national club only competition. Fantastic recipe, it will be in my standard rotation from now on! I'll post the score once I get it.

The Nottingham yeast will make a good beer but it will not replace the Wyeast 1728 IMO
Maybe someone out there can make a replacement recommendation.

I rebrewed this about two months ago, only as a 60/-. I also boiled down the 1st runnings to 1/4 gal. Still a great beer.

Sorry, but I am confused. Is this a 5gal or 10gal recipe? Seems like a small grain bill for 10...

Its for a 10 gallon batch, the batch size is listed in the original post. If your using a mobile app, you can't see some of the recipe information like, batch size, yeast strain, color, FG, etc...

pm5k00 said:
Its for a 10 gallon batch, the batch size is listed in the original post. If your using a mobile app, you can't see some of the recipe information like, batch size, yeast strain, color, FG, etc...
10 gallon batch

Was looking to try this one out but my equipment is not large enough to handle 10 talon batches. Can I just 1/2 this recipe for 5 talon batch or is thee other alterations to therecipe that I would need to make?

Back