Sweet to Skunk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mapex

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

i just did a batch of Blueberry wheat and when first brewed and put into the primary it had a nice sweet flavor but not overpowering with a IG of 1.051...the issue is that last night I racked into a secondary with blueberries but I tasted it and it had gone from the nice sweet flaor to an almost slightly skunky flavor...it isn't overpowering and still tasted fine to my pallet but it was definitly noticeable. Is this a normal thing or is it a sign of having contamination somewhere along the line? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

well you are going to have sweet wort before fermentation, but fermentaion converts sugar to alcohol, so the sweetness will be gone. Also you are tasing young green flat beer so it isn't going to taste great. If you have kept the fermenter out of the light, then it should be ok.

Also be aware you aren't going to get any sweetness from the blueberrys after they ferment out, just an "essence" of the blueberry taste, with probalby a little tartness.

That makes sense, I appreciate the reply as I was concerned that I may have some form of infection as I am usually on top of my game when it comes to sanitizing and keeping everything clean.

I keep the carboy under a blanket to prevent any light from hitting it so that hasn't been an issue. I guess just being green and not finished yet is the big factor.

As for the blueberries, I was hoping to get soem of the aroma and some flavors from the fruit as I've had a handful of homebrews using fruits that have had little to no fruit flavor but a great aroma. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back