Help/Tips for Purchasing/choosing Keg setup (newbie)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomer67

Reaction score
I have bottled 2 batches and am shooting for kegging, at first I was going to go super cheap (keg, carbonate with sugar and dispense with CO2 cartridge), but it seemed I would still spend around $100 and have a terrible setup. I would appreciate tips and feedback the following seems to be a good decision to me, but this is by what I've read, I have no experience:

I've read so far it seems the following would be good:

The advantages I see in this setup are:
  • I can have up to 3 kegs.
  • With 2 Dual Valve regulators, I can have one or 2 kegs on tap (with 2 way distr.), plus another in carbonation, or if I get picky, at a different carbonation level.
  • This entire setup would be around $300, if I go just with the kit it would be $237 (including shipping and tax).

Anybody know:
  • Would it be cheaper if I bought a pack of 4 kegs on ebay and put the kit together myself?
  • Any other components you think would be handy?
  • Anything you think is not necessary?

THANKS!!

Here is the kit that I got thru keg connection....

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=47

... but I bought mine used off of Craigslist. Dual regs would be nice, but not neccasary. I have three kegs and just disconnect the two on tap when it is time to force carb. Then I dial it back down and re-connect the two I have on tap.

Are you putting these in a fridge or converting a chest freezer?

I'm just putting them in a fridge, I have a chestbox freezer with temp. controller, I also use it for fermentation (nice hot FL!!).

nice hot FL? Here in GA it has been over 90 for more than a week! I don't think you would be real happy with those picnic taps. If you could swing it, put a collar on the keezer and a couple or three taps. IMO, much cooler.

That looks like a great deal for a dual reg setup. I am also thinking about doing this, and am interested in what others think of that deal.

One thing to add, call and talk to the guys at kegconnection, when I purchased my kit, due to the boxes needed, getting 4 kegs from them vs 3 kegs, you probably won't pay extra shipping for the 4th. They were very helpful on letting me know how they would be boxing stuff up, so I could minimize my shipping costs with the equipment I wanted.

The only other thing I might suggest, depending on your location, is to just get the CO2 tank from air-gas on a rental basis, then you can just give them your old tank, and grab a new tank from them. When I ordered my kit, they were more than willing to just take the tank price off the kit, since I was ordering several extras like multiple regulators, perlick's, etc.

I ended up spending $300 including shipping, got:
* 3 Keg Basic Keg Kit, DUAL BODY REG, Standard Kit, BALL LOCK (http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=327), with the Dual Body upgrade.
*Extra Ball lock disconnect for Gas In (threaded) and I can directly screw on a CO2 cartridge -thingamaginger- I got from Northern, to dispense beer without the CO2 tank and regulators if I take it to a party.
*Extra Ball Lock disconect for liquid (barbed), and 10 ft hose, picnic valve. With this I hope to build that Beergun thing (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/). I think this would be great, so you can bottle some and take it to a dinner party.
*I also got the carbonator cap, which seems to be a good way to take a 2 liter soda bottle (I guess I can fill it with the DIY beer gunner) of beer to a friends house and not worry about losing carbonation.

My only comment so far is that the regulator upgrade is nice, but it is very bulky if your tight on space. Right now I have everything in a chestbox freezer, but I am definitely going to convert it to a kegerator (adding a 2x4 frame on top, http://homebrew.com/articles/article07220301.shtml ), so I can put the CO2 tank outside and have more head space.

I had 10 gallons to bottle....the kegs were GREAT!! I wasn't looking forward to filling a 100 bottles!

Cheers!

Back