I'm teaching Amber and Dark Lagers @ my BJCP study group - any advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcrawford

Reaction score
I'm teaching this week's class about amber and dark lagers tomorrow night at our BJCP study group. I'm going to go buy a bunch of the recommend beers and we'll taste those. Any advice from those that have studied for the BJCP or taken the test? Any of those beers end up on your test? Any facts or history that are more important then others for this style?

I also want to give a sample quiz does anyone have any good test questions for these styles?

Thanks!

I'm in a study group right now. What we have been doing is tasting ~6-10 beers each week based on the recommended style that week. Its been a mixture of homebrew and commercial. The guy organizing it asks everyone to volunteer any homebrew if they have that style.

for example, last week was Bitters, pale ales, IPAs and IIPAs and steam beer. We tasted:
Boddingtons (Ordinary Bitter)
Bass (ESB)
A homebrew ESB
2 homebrewed IPAs
1 local commercial IPA
Anchor Steam (steam beer)
Stone Ruination
1 local commercial IIPA

We officially scored 2 of the beers, and talked about a group about the rest. We also hit on how we would score all of the beers we just talked about, and why. What was good about having some homebrewed samples is that we were able to talk about what was good/bad about the beer, any off flavors (some had oxidation), and how they would improve the beer.

How was your study group organized? I went to my first Homebrew club meeting and someone there showed interest in getting a group together to take the BJCP exam. I would like to help motivate them by having some ideas to contribute at the next meeting. I thought an idea would be to get a list of commercial beers going and each week do a tasting online via SKYPE. Is there a particular style to start with? What are some other ways to get a study group to improve their BJCP preperations?

Back