Pseudo Wild Cider Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently tried a locally produced wild cider and loved it. It is unpasteurized, unfiltered, true wild cider that must be kept refridgerated.

I'd like to try a wild type cider. I do not have a good source of unpasteurized cider. I'm wondering if I could used some of the wild cider to start a batch of pasteurized cider. That way, it would reintroduce local wild yeasts.

Do you think this would work? Any tips of a good process for doing this?

That may work, especially if there is plenty of sediment in the bottle. Alternatively, you could use local pasteurized cider and still achieve a wild fermentation. Juice pasteurization does not kill much in the way of yeast, which is why even pasteurized juice must be kept refrigerated.

You could also use an apple fresh off the tree for a source of yeast. Although beware, I have heard that wild yeast can produce unexpected results and it is very likely that you will not be able to reproduce the same brew twice.

Thanks guys!

I am actually hoping that starting with the cider will produce a more predictable but still wild cider type end product. The idea being that I know the yeasts in the cider produce a favorable cider. Then, I can wash and save the yeast to produce more batches. Is it possible to wash, save, and "domesticate" a wild yeast like this?

Also, this cider is NOT CHEAP ($5/12oz). I'd hate to dump a bunch into the big batch and have a total bust. I was thinking about making a starter of sorts out of say half a gallon of cider plus one bottle of the hard cider.

Any insights on this process. Has anyone tried similiar or should I just give it a whirl and post the results?

Thanks guys!

I am actually hoping that starting with the cider will produce a more predictable but still wild cider type end product. The idea being that I know the yeasts in the cider produce a favorable cider. Then, I can wash and save the yeast to produce more batches. Is it possible to wash, save, and "domesticate" a wild yeast like this?

Also, this cider is NOT CHEAP ($5/12oz). I'd hate to dump a bunch into the big batch and have a total bust. I was thinking about making a starter of sorts out of say half a gallon of cider plus one bottle of the hard cider.

Any insights on this process. Has anyone tried similiar or should I just give it a whirl and post the results?

I say use the yeast from the wild cider into a starter of nutrients and fresh, pasteurized juice. You are basically harvesting yeast as we all do. In your case, you are just trying to give it the best chance to propagate since you have a small amount.

I wouldn't worry about off flavors too much. The "wild" yeast has likely become the dominant strain and you should have a decent chance at replicating.

I say use the yeast from the wild cider into a starter of nutrients and fresh, pasteurized juice. You are basically harvesting yeast as we all do. In your case, you are just trying to give it the best chance to propagate since you have a small amount.

I wouldn't worry about off flavors too much. The "wild" yeast has likely become the dominant strain and you should have a decent chance at replicating.

My thoughts exactly! At $5/12 oz (was that a misprint?). If you can harvest that yeast and it works good in a gallon of cheaper juice, keep it going. The wild yeast will end up being somewhat predictable time after time. Just gotta keep that starter going as best as possible all the time. I keep my organic wild yeast in the fridge for when I feel like doing an organic juice batch. I don't add nutrient to it though...as that would make it "non-organic" in my eyes. I just add more organic juice to top it off and leave it out for a half day to warm up, then back in the fridge it goes. You can keep that precious wild yeast going forever...maybe.
Get some cheaper juice and experiment with it though with 1 gallon batches.

Back