What the devil is a "fired-on"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking at a preview of "Beer Craft: A Simple Guide to Making Great Beer," and in the table of contents under the chapter about designing labels and bottle caps, there's a section about designing fired-ons. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what a fired-on is. I've never heard of it, and my search efforts are bringing up any relevant results. :confused:

Assuming it's the labels like Stone's. But don't know and am curious as well. Subscribed.....

Is the design process involving making a stencil? Maybe it's some sort of heat set printing. Like where you apply a glue to whatever through a stencil, then dust it with a colored heat set powder which you then use a heat gun on it, to set the ink and raise the letters, and you end up with embossed letters?

I asked the authors of the book. Their answer: "label painted directly on the bottle glass." I'm guessing the "fired" part has to do with heating the paint so that it's permanent. Makes a lot more sense now.

I guess I got a "fired on" pint glass as a Christmas present. My daughter used glass paint to paint designs on glasses, they heated them in the oven to make the paint permanent.
So I have a custom pint glass that says "Dad's Homebrew" on it.

Latest posts

Back