Silicone tubing for new rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinibrew04

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I know I need to get some silicone tubing because I'll be recirculating mash as well as recirc. boiling wort through a CFC. My question is whether or not this tubing below from Mcmaster is good enough or is the wall too thin?

McMaster-Carr

Also, BobbyM, feel free to chime in since I'm using the same QD's as you and I remember you saying you were switching to silicone.

Thanks

I got 1/2" ID, 1/8" wall silicone from USplastics, but Morebeer is actually cheaper right now.

+1 on this. I've been using this with my march pump setup for the past 8-10 brews and it's worked great. The product in your link looks like it's just a bit thinner walled than the stuff from morebeer/AHS. The tubing from morebeer is 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD if I remember correctly.

The product in your link looks like it's just a bit thinner walled than the stuff from morebeer/AHS. The tubing from morebeer is 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I have some of the thin and thick walled stuff. The thin walled is just too thin. It collapses and kinks very easily.

I am looking into some tubing as well. I was wondering why silicone vs. teflon(tygon) or norprene. I thought that silicone can get gummy inside after repeated hot exposure, but I just want something super inert that won't leach crap into my brews over time.

Folks using the silicone tube are happy with it, and it should be plenty inert. It holds up to high temps, does not seem to have memory, I bought mine at AHB. Here is their description:
* Made from FDA-sanctioned ingredients.
* Able to resist extreme temperature variation: -100°F to 500° F.
* Translucent natural color for visual contact with the flow.
* Resilient, stretchable, and resistant to compression set.
* Odorless, tasteless, and inert.
* Good electrical and weatherability properties. It resists UV, ozone, gases, and moisture.
* Listed by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF 51).

Back