Orange Blossom Ale (strong pale/gold)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbrown4

Reaction score
This is a much tweaked version of this brew: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/saison-honey-original-recipe-seeking-feedback-339821/

Questions for which I am seeking answers:

1. Should I reduce the Dextrine malt to 0.25 lb, or keep at 0.50 lb? What would be the pros/cons of each?
2. Would it be wise to use Amarillo strictly for aroma? Or should I bump some back to bittering? Also any thought on Sorachi ace as a bittering hop would be appreciated.
3. With the yeast...I've got two generations of 3711 ready. I plan to use the newest one as I've been happy so far. If I add Brett Brux to the mix...where and how should I do this? Or, should I do half the batch on 3711 and half on Brett brux?

I'm moderately pleased with the first batch, which I intended to be a saison of sorts with a late addition of orange blossom honey. I never thought it would get to 9.5%ABV. Plus...there was so much else going on that it didn't have the saison feel at all. Drinks like a strong Belgian pale or gold ale.

I want to increase the IBUs to help balance things out. So I've reworked the hop varieties.It was suggested by a pro brewer friend to use Amarillo hops in this as it would compliment the sweet citrusy impressions left from the honey. I also really like to Sorachi ace hop, earthy and lemony. I've got the Sorachi ace as my bittering hops and the Amarillo for aroma.

I want to add some dextrine malt to increase the body....which despite it's fairly high gravity, felt a bit thin.

I was pleased with the work that the 3711 yeast did, producing a very dry beer. To add some nice earthy funk I was thinking of toying with an addition of Brettanomyces bruxellensis. I've harvested some from the dregs of a Sierra Nevada Brux bottle, have washed it and will be feeding it this week.

Here's what I have so far. Suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Size: 5.04*gal
Efficiency: 114.0%
Attenuation: 96.0%
Calories: 246.7*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.076 (1.070 - 1.095)
Terminal Gravity: 1.003 (1.005 - 1.016)
Color: 5.61 (3.0 - 6.0)
Alcohol: 9.64% (7.5% - 10.5%)
Bitterness: 51.6 (22.0 - 35.0)

Ingredients:
0.50*lb Dextrine Malt (steep)
0.25*lb Honey Malt (steep)
6.0*lb Dry Light Extract
1.0*oz Sorachi Ace (10.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0*m
1.0*tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15.0*m
2.0*oz Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0*m
1.0*ea WYeast 3711 French Saison
2.0*oz Amarillo® (8.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
3.0*lb Orange Blossom Honey - added at peak krausen

Reading a bit more, I'm thinking of doing the Brett brux addition immediately prior to bottling. I'm thinking this should work, right?

I think you are wasting your money with the honey. Might as well use plain sugar. 3711 is going to ferment it all away. The honey malt will probably give you what you want. I don't like the stuff personally.

Amarillo good.

Sorachi Ace - gamble

3711 ferments low. 0.5 lbs of Dextrine would be OK.

Why Brett? You will need to wait another year for it to really finish. Design a beer around the brett and use it in that.

I think you are wasting your money with the honey. Might as well use plain sugar. 3711 is going to ferment it all away. The honey malt will probably give you what you want. I don't like the stuff personally.

Amarillo good.

Sorachi Ace - gamble

3711 ferments low. 0.5 lbs of Dextrine would be OK.

Why Brett? You will need to wait another year for it to really finish. Design a beer around the brett and use it in that.

I enjoy the impressions that are left from the honey. unless I'm imagining things here.

If I use Brett at all it will be very small portion of the batch that will sit for a long. maybe a gallon of it. I think this time around I'm just gonna do the recipe above.

Back