When to add some Citra?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toastman

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm putting together more of a summer PA and thought that getting some citrus flavor with some Citra addition might be nice. I'm just not sure when to add. Here's my recipe so far I call "(630)" & which is so good that it's quite difficult to share. Would I throw in the middle for the flavor or at the end for aroma? and quantity? Thinking .3 oz.

6.3 gal batch

10.5 lb Pale Ale Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain
0.60 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
0.50 oz Liberty [4.30%] (30 min)
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (20 min)
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (15 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (10 min)
using (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Citra doesn't impart citrus flavor. It has a definite tropical flavor and aroma, and it screams MANGO to me.

Amarillo is definitely citrusy- big time grapefruit. That's where the citrus flavor in this recipe will come from.

Your recipe seems under bittered- what are your planned IBUs?

If you want mango/tropical fruit flavor and aroma, adding the citra with 5 minutes left would be the way to go. I've never used .3 ounces in an APA, and don't imagine you'll get tons of flavor or aroma out of a small addition, though.

I dont think you're gonna get much, no matter when you add it, with only .3 oz. I'm into 1/2 oz increments, so that'd be the very least I'd use, but really I'd go an oz. You could add it all at flameout or I'd mix it with the Amarillo and split those two oz, half at 10 and the other half at flameout - probably get more citrusy flavor/aroma that way.

Yes it is a touch under bittered. It's base is off of Goose Island Green Line. I like it a bit maltier hence the hop bill and the little extra caramel 40. And I love Mango, so maybe 3/4 oz. is the way to go. Should I counteract that with more bitterness?

I'd do this with what you have on hand...

0.50 oz Liberty [4.30%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Columbus [14.00%] (25 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.50%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (5 min)

Citra in the dryhop or during whirlpool

Tip: If you want more citrus flavor and less tropical notes, then use the Simcoe and Citra at 5 or whirlpool and Amarillo in the dryhop. If you want more tropical notes, use Citra in the dryhop.

0.3 oz? where are you getting this number from?

bring it up to 0.5-1 oz and dry hop it.

yea, yea, yea, you technically don't get any flavor out of dry hops, but you'll get a high level of aromatically induced flavor perception (for the sake of being PC) from a simple dry hop with this potent mamma jamma of a hop.

you best like mangoes though. hollar!

you'll get plenty of citrusy notes from your simcoe and amarillo if you add in the last 15 minutes of the boil.

I might question why the Liberty @ 30min. The generally held opinion is max flavor at 20 minutes, passed that flavor falls and mostly get bitterness. I also might look at the CTZ @ 15min. I have no experience with that hop but I think most people tend to only use it for bittering. I guess I would just encourage you to think if you have used it before to make sure it is a flavor you want in there.

I appreciate the suggestions. And yes this is a recipe I've used before and I absolutely love this beer. Good tips on the Citra all. TANKS!

if you already love the beer, and from what I can tell; I think you should DRY HOP with Citra. It's a very sweet hop IMHO - max out the tropical fruit notes (mango for sure) and see what you think of it.

cheers

PS - I feel that too much Citra is cloying - just too much over-ripe fruit.

jammin said:
if you already love the beer, and from what I can tell; I think you should DRY HOP with Citra. It's a very sweet hop IMHO - max out the tropical fruit notes (mango for sure) and see what you think of it.

cheers

PS - I feel that too much Citra is cloying - just too much over-ripe fruit.

Agreed. Citra is fantastic for dry hopping.

Back