anybody catch the Mirror Pond recipe on CYBI?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmeh

Reaction score
I would have listened to the show live, but it would be 6AM in my time zone! :p

Anybody happen to scribble down the recipe? I dont want to wait 2 weeks for the show to be uploaded! ;)

Cheers, Jim

The CYBI from 9/14 is on iTunes podcasts now -- I skimmed through it last night. However, it was all about Magic Hat Moxy Rolles. Which broadcast are you looking for?

The CYBI from 9/14 is on iTunes podcasts now -- I skimmed through it last night. However, it was all about Magic Hat Moxy Rolles. Which broadcast are you looking for?

Don't they do two shows live, back-to-back, but then split them up for the podcasts? Something like 2 weeks apart?

So, they didn't clone it. I think they misinterpreted the Deschutes brewers hops comments though and they didn't like the grain bill to get the right malt profile.

My notes from the brewer interview:

OG: 1.050 - 1.054 (target 1.053)
FG: 1.012 - 1.015 (target 1.013)
IBU: 38 - 42 (measured)
ABV: 5.0 - 5.2
Mash @ 149 - 152
90 minutes boil
All Cascade hops
Ferment @ 65 degrees
English Style yeast with high flocculation (WLP002)

A recipe w/ their tweaks

5.5 lb American 2-row
5.5 lb Crisp Maris Otter
14 oz Crystal 75L
2 oz CaraPils

Assuming 70% efficiency

Regarding hopping, here's my interpretation of the interview (starting @ 18:40 if you're listening). The first and second additions contribute the IBU's, the 3rd and 4th additions are the flavor/aromatics. At 19:30 he says "double the amount of hops used in the first and second" which I don't think the show caught. He also says .1lb / barrell for dry hopping @ 22:30. So.... based on that, I came up with below. However, this seems rather significant -- lots of guessing here. Fresh Mirror Pond at the pub has very good hop aroma.

Based on 60m boil (Deschutes does 90m)

60m 1.5 oz Cascade 7% AA Whole Leaf
30m 1.5 oz Cascade 7% AA Whole Leaf
5m 3 oz Cascade 7% AA Whole Leaf
0m 3 oz Cascade 7% AA Whole Leaf
dry hop 1 oz Cascade 7% AA Whole Leaf

Summed up here
http://hopville.com/recipe/102427/american-pale-ale-recipes/mirror-pond-clone---wip

I brewed something similar this weekend. Currently on day 3 in the primary.
http://hopville.com/recipe/98778/american-pale-ale-recipes/cascade-pale-ale

I was a little confused about the hops as well!

This is what I came up with (in metric units!):

Batch size: 23L
Efficiency: 75%
Mash at: 65/66 deg C
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.013 (shooting for)
IBU: 38.7 (Tinseth)
EBC: ~20 (9.5 SRM)

Grains:
4.60 kg Pale (my local stuff is ~3 SRM) - 91.5%
0.35 kg Crystal 75 - 7%
0.08 kg Carapils - 1.5%

Hops:
90 min - 20 grams Cascade (7.8%AA Pellets)
30 min - 20 grams Cascade
05 min - 40 grams Cascade
00 min - 40 grams Cascade
Dry hop - 14 grams Cascade

Yeast:
WLP002 or WY1968
Ferment @ 18 deg C

Heres my take on an extract version..could be way off though, I replaced the bittering addition with Chinook and tweaked the Cascade a little simply due to cost..Im not brewing a 65 dollar batch of beer...It still comes in at 38 IBU, I think thiers is 40 so its not far off.. and mine comes in around 45 bucks..

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Mirror Pond Clone
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 9.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 50.63 %
3.30 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 41.77 %
0.35 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.43 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.16 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops)

Regarding hopping, here's my interpretation of the interview (starting @ 18:40 if you're listening). The first and second additions contribute the IBU's, the 3rd and 4th additions are the flavor/aromatics. At 19:30 he says "double the amount of hops used in the first and second" which I don't think the show caught. He also says .1lb / barrell for dry hopping @ 22:30. So.... based on that, I came up with below. However, this seems rather significant -- lots of guessing here. Fresh Mirror Pond at the pub has very good hop aroma.

I think you are on the right track. I didn't do the math, but your logic is the same as mine.

I'll be brewing this one up tomorrow. I'll be making a couple of changes though. I'm using 90% maris otter, 8% british crystal 75, and 2% carapils, so slightly changed from their ratios and using british base and crystal. Then I'm going to ferment with samuel smith's yeast (WLP037 Yorkshire Square yeast). That will probably give it a completely different yeast character but I'm OK with that, I've never actually had a mirror pond before, lol. Aiming for 1.052 OG, 40 IBU with 0.75 oz cascade at 90, 0.75 at 30, 1.5 @ 5 and 1.5 @ flameout, all whole leaf. Fermenting between 64-66. Should make a nice pale ale, if not an exact clone. And I'll be testing out a yeast that's new to me so that's exciting. I'll be sure to update you guys in a couple months with results. Probably a couple times between now and then too, I like to talk about beer.:D

Supposedly, BYO had:

9.75 lb pale malt
1 lb munich malt
4 oz. crystal (60L)
.69 oz centennial hops - 60 min
.75 oz cascade hops - 15 min
.75 oz cascade hops - 5 min
1 tsp irish moss - 15 min
Chico ale yeast (1056, wlp001, us05)
.75 cup corn sugar - bottling
mash @ 152F / 60min

Someone on another forum was trying a not yet perfect clone:
10# 2-row
1# Munich
1/4 - 1/2# Crystal 40-60
Bitter with Cascade or Centennial
Cascade at 15, 5 and dry hop
40 IBUs

Deschutes says:

Original gravity: 1.050-1.055
Final gravity: 1.012-1.015
Boil time: 90 minutes
Fermentation temp: 65° F
Yeast type: English Ale
Malt: Hops:
NW 2-row Pale Malt 100% Cascade
Crystal Malt

It's not a very dark beer, so I'd guess the Crystal malt is 20-40L and/or not alot is used. If it's "NW Pale", it's probably the 3L (more english style) rather than the lighter 1.8L 2-row.

My wife thinks Mirror Pond is the definitive APA, so it looks like I'll need to try to make one. Makes sense to me now that the yeast is english and the base malt is a little more "english" like. It tastes more full flavored somehow, than most similarly colored American Pales.

If anyone finds a recipe that's real close, please let us know! I think maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 lb of crystal with the rest NW pale and a good english yeast might do the trick. It's clearly Cascades flavor and aroma, IMHO (I've had alot of Mirror Pond). It might be 40 IBU, but possibly less, with a little dry hopping

Rich

Brew day went well. Boiled off a bit too much so pitched the whole starter to bring up the volume. Color is pretty dark! Looks like a medium-amber to me. Taste of wort was good. Not as bitter as I would have thought, given it's 40 IBU. Lots of smooth caramel flavor. Very smooth. I think this one is going to be a good match for the yorkshire square yeast. I mashed at 150 so that it would attenuate down to 1.012-1.014. Hopefully that works out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I remembered to try something I heard about with the gravity sample and I'm glad I did. Apparently it is a Scottish tradition to mix a bit of the unfermented wort with some scotch and drink it. I tried it with this wort and it's awesome. I recommend everyone try it. The sweetness of the wort blends with the smooth sweetness and slight smokiness of the scotch and creates a really awesome blend. If I ever start my own brewpub, this is going to be an occasional special.

It turned out very good, though I would recommend wlp002 or wy1968 instead of the yorkshire square yeast. I made the recipe as stated above and tried someone else's recipe who used 1968 and the malt came through much better with the 1968.

Back