What do you take when going to a party?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score
... as far as food.

What is your (or your better half’s) “go to” dish or appetizer when going to a party or potluck?

I just dropped off an appetizer to a 4th party I’m going to. To my dismay they were eaten by the time I left ... so much for the guests ... I’m heading back to the store to make another batch.

What I made was something that used to be served in Italian Delicatessens in a bowl on the counter for customers to try ... they are Cherry Shooters ... aka Peperoncini Ripieni.

Cherry Shooters are cherry peppers about the size of small ping-pong balls with the seeds taken out and then stuffed with Italian lunchmeat like capicola and a cheese like smoked provolone, and then partially covered with extra-virgin olive oil.

Unbelievably good, they really have to be tried ... a giant hit.

They can be stuffed with all sorts of things ... my favorite recipe is the following ...

The peppers I use are Mezzetta ...
MEZZ-115.jpg

Here’s the recipe ..

Cherry Pepper Shooters
12 – 16 Marinated cherry peppers
1/2 Lb. smoked or sharp Provolone cheese
4 – 6 Slices capicola or prosciutto (approximately 1/8 Lb.)
Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 Large clove garlic, peeled and sliced

Rinse the cherry peppers under running water. With a paring knife, remove the stems. Using a melon-baller, knife or small spoon, remove the seeds and ribs.

Cut the provolone into cubes small enough to fit into the cherry peppers. Wrap each piece of cheese with a thin ribbon of capicola. Stuff one into each pepper.

Place the peppers in a clean glass jar, distributing the garlic as you go. Fill the jar with enough olive oil that has had just a bit of salt and pepper added to it, to cover the peppers.
Let sit, refrigerated, overnight before serving.
Serve shooters at room temperature with lemon wedges.

2268.jpg

I usually take "Baked Potato" salad. I get the fingerling potatoes and roast them with EVOO, salt, pepper, and thyme. Then dress the salad with mayo, sour cream, and all the stuff that goes on a baked potato.

I think I just used those same peppers (unpickled) and stuffed them with cheese then stuffed them in big balls of sausage meat to throw in the smoker. Are they less hot than jalepenos?

I think I just used those same peppers (unpickled) and stuffed them with cheese then stuffed them in big balls of sausage meat to throw in the smoker. Are they less hot than jalepenos?

yep, there even a bit milder than pickled pepperocini (not as tart) ... though you can find hotter style cherry peppers.

Rumcake I got this bunt pan that makes a cake that looks like a sand castle. So I make my rum cake in it, then turn out on a plate covered in brown sugar so it looks like a real sand castle. I sometimes take real whipped cream, not the partially hydrogenated oil stuff. It is amazing how many people are in awe of the taste of real whipped cream.

I love those stuffed cherry peppers! I made a bunch for a Halloween party, even pickled the peppers myself. Then a big snowstorm hit, and party was cancelled. I gave them to my FIL and took off for a Keys vacation. :)

Usually I bring ABTs to parties. Stuff seeded jalepeno halves with cream cheese, shredded cheese, and dry rub. Wrap in a half slice of bacon, roll in brown sugar, and smoke at 300*. Lots of recipes also call for a Lil Smokey or other sausage, but I prefer just cheese.

My favorite (and easiest) is home fried tortilla chips.

Buy big stack of cheap corn tortillas, cut into sixths, and deep fry @ 350 ish in corn oil until golden. salt while hot and put on rack or paper towels to dry. If they aren't crunchy the oil isn't hot enough.

I always bring BBQ chili dip (layered hot dip - my own BBQ chili, cream cheese, green onions, salsa, etc.) and chips.

I'm also a serious chili-head. So I usually take 3 kinds of chicken hot wings I make myself.

Typical run of the mill heat, Extra Hot for those that actually like their hot wings to be hot, and a small batch of "Dear lord help me, make it go away" type wings. The former being for that guy that always says, "I can handle anything dude". I'm yet to see anyone finish one.

Secret ingredient = Blair's 3am Reserve wetting powdered Ghost pepper flakes.

Usually I bring beer.. but when I can't I bring 7-layer salad you southerners already know what I'm talking about. After prepping the ingredients it's simple, you just layer this stuff in a pan. Mine has more than 7 layers, I start with lettuce, then diced tomato, onion and green bell peppers, then freshly shredded sharp cheddar, then dressing (just mayo and sugar), then hard-boiled eggs, and top with none-other-than.. drumrolllll...BACON! Make an extra cause you ain't bringing any home.

I usually make ABTs if it's a backyard sort of thing, or for more upscale parties I might make scalloped potatoes or similar. I sometimes bake some onion rolls to bring along as well.

If it's cool I bring Triple Chocolate Pie or Cheesecake if it's warmer Pineapple Upside down Cake + 1 or two 3 gallon kegs of beer. I'm pretty much the designated dessert as far as friends and co-workers go.

Buffalo Chicken Dip is my go to. It's a crowd pleaser and its so simple to make. Drop the ingredients in a slow cooker and forget about it.

I second the buffalo chicken dip. I make that pretty often and there is never any left over. The other two best ones that I make are a homemade spinach dip and a homemade BLT dip.

I do Stuffed Potato Skins.

Just bake potatoes in the oven (tossed with oil, salt & pepper) till cooked through, slice in half horizontally (while potato is still laying on trays) & scoop out filling. Pop the skins back into the oven to crisp up a bit and mash your potato filling like mashed potatoes. I put butter, salt, pepper, fresh thyme & hot sauce in mine - oh, and a bit of shredded cheddar cheese.

Pull out the skins, scoop some of the mashed tatters into each one, top with more shredded cheddar, crumbled crispy bacon & sliced green onions. Back in the oven for 5min or so until the cheddar melts & that's it.

Leftover mashed potatoes are great for a snack later on or the next day in making potato pancakes with breakfast.

Other than the Cherry Pepper Shooters I mentioned earlier ... the one dish I've always been known for, and get a lot of requests for when I go somewhere is Spinach Pie made with Phylo dough ... this is the flaky spinach pie like Greek restaurants make ... but rather than make it in a sheet pan and cut into squares, I roll the spinach pie up into logs and after baking, slice them into 3" sections and serve with garlic-mint-cucumber-yogurt dip (the traditional dip for them, known as tzatziki)

Jell-O shots. They are always go over well. Never heard any complaints. 1/2water 1/2 alcohol. Coconut or spiced rum with pineapple, tequila and lime, watermelon vodka with watermelon, orange vodka with orange,

Two types of American? Fancy!
Oh Tx, do tell me you are jesting ;)
Could be the highlight of a tray featuring sophisticated finger-sandwiches of Vienna Sausages with Miracle Whip and yellow mustard on Wonder Bread.
What wine would I bring with such delicate food? ... I'm thinking, maybe, Wild Irish Rose.

images

images

special brownies...mmmkay

some of you guys sound like you're going to a tea-party :fro: vs. an actual fiesta :rockin: of sorts.

Another huge favorite I've brought to parties ... Rumaki.
Chicken livers, piece of pineapple and water chestnut, wrapped in bacon and either baked or fried.
One of the best "cocktail" foods ever.

125-71_rumaki_250.jpg

Another huge favorite I've brought to parties ... Rumaki.
Chicken livers, piece of pineapple and water chestnut, wrapped in bacon and either baked or fried.
One of the best "cocktail" foods ever.

125-71_rumaki_250.jpg

That sounds (and looks) AWESOME!!! I never heard of it before, but you can bet I'll be trying it soon! Thanks for sharing, I love it when I learn something new that's tasty! Regards, GF.

Back