CO2 Charger Beer Line Length?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsul

Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a bbq on the weekend and a keg I want to take for the traditional tub of ice and picnic faucet treatment. Rather than take my 5lbs bottle and regulator as I have in the past I picked up one of these instead.

Can anyone who has experience with them recommend the length of beer line that works best? I have 3/16 line and a plastic picnic faucet to use; I have no idea how long the line should be to use with this gadget. Thanks!

Base your line length on the level of forced carbonation. If you would serve the ale at 12 psi normally, use 6 feet. And be really careful. Do not leave it connected, because if you do, someone will pop the keg. The relief valves are designed for 135 psi, but I bet your party tap would be the point of failure. [ask me how I know]

Use it like a hand pump: re-connect, open the tap, and puff it until you have good flow.

Because it's an "unregulated" 600 psi, you can't just open it up until the CO2 stops running or you'll overcarbonate. You have to eyeball it, like you do with a picnic pump...when the beer starts running a little slow, give it a shot of CO2.

For that reason, you can use whatever hose length you like, as defined by the carb level in the beer already. Something in the 5-7' range is probably ideal.

EDIT: yeah, like david said. I'll never get to 8k posts..I type too slow.

I naturally carbed this keg over the last couple weeks so I think I'll just use my standard 6' lines then. Good point about disconnecting the charger; not sure I'd want to trust random beer drinking Joe #5 not to juice the thing until something blows.

I think I'll do some experimenting the night before (also gives me a chance to do some quality assurance :D).

Latest posts

Back