Higher F.G. ?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

Assume that I've brewed an extract batch using only DME .

The O.G. is 1.050 and the F.G. is 1.012 .

If I would have brewed this batch with the same O.G. using also crystal malt as steeping grains , should I expect higher F.G. , for example 1.020 ?!

Hector

I wouldn't think so... I would say something else changed.

By the first batch I have only DME which has 64% maltose , but by the second batch , there are more unfermentables .

What do you think about that ?!

Hector

There may be more unfermentables, but assuming you used the same amount of DME, you didn't get any sugars out of the crystal because the OG didn't change. Therefore, you would have the same amount of sugars in each batch. OG and FG are measurements of sugar. So if the total amount of sugar didn't change, the only thing that changed was that the yeast didn't consume as much sugar in the second batch as the first batch. Now, had you reduced the DME and obtained some sugars from the Crystal, then I would probably agree with you because some of the sugars obtained from the Crystal were not fermentable.

Crystal adds unfermentable sugars, but using reasonable amounts will not really be noticed.

If you steep a pound of crystal, it might add about 15 total points (about .003 for a 5 gallon batch). Some of the sugars from Crystal are fermentable, but most are not. Steeping 1 lb of crystal in a 5 gallon batch might contribute .002 to the FG.

Back