Hoplite APA (with a rye influence)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saq

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
~2 cups from conical
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 68f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68f
Tasting Notes
a solid, not too thin APA with a slight rye twinge, beautiful hop nose
Grain Bill
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain
4.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain
1.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain

Hop Bill
0.50 oz Summit Pellet [18.10 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops
15 min 0.50 oz Simcoe Plug [12.90 %] (15 min) Hops
15 min 0.50 oz Summit Pellet [18.10 %] (15 min) Hops
0 min 0.50 oz Cascade Plug [8.70 %] (0 min) Hops

Dry Hop for 14 days
0.50 oz Simcoe Plug [12.90 %] (15 min) Hops 14 days
0.50 oz Cascade Plug [8.70 %] (0 min) Hops 14 days

Misc
1.00 items Servomyces (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
WLP001 Yeast
Pliny Water

Mash Procedure
Mash In with 21qt water @ 160.8f to reach 152f mash temp, hold for 75 minutes. Mashout with 10qt of water @ 168f. Sparge as usual.

This brew was based off one of my latest IIPAs (no recipe posted yet, its not done) which is a big huge 260+ IBU IPA. I liked the grainbill so much I decided to make an APA version that is toned down and more appropriate for session drinking. The flavor profile is obviously very different due to the concentrations, but it works in an APA just as much as it does in an IIPA.
This beer can go from grain to glass in a little over 3 weeks if you do a vigorous carb & shake after the keg temp is right.

I'll post an action pic and a full BJCP breakdown a little later tonight.

Appearance: A light, hazy amber color with a thick white head that lasts for a little before fading to a nice crown. Moderate to high lacing, some active carbonation.

Aroma: Clean cascade and simcoe citrus hop aromas, with a slight hint of light malt sweetness.

Flavor: Clean, crisp with good body but easy drinking. The rye flavor is present but not overwhelming, it basically adds a little twangyness to the light caramel flavors. Super smooth bitterness and hoppiness, it balances the whole thing very well.

Mouthfeel: Crisp refreshing, smooth without being thin. Extremely drinkable, finishes quickly and leaves you wanting more.

Overall: Damn, now this is an APA that I can drink and enjoy! My girlfriend loves it, I shared it with my neighbors who know nothing about beer and they love it. They both comment on it being different flavor wise (due to the rye) but being extremely smooth and drinkable.

Overall impression: Its on the hoppier, darker, bitterrer (yes thats a word) side of the APA, and its got a rye influence. This is an APA that your beer snobs (I include myself in that assessment) as well as your beer novices or know nothings are going to enjoy.

APA.jpg

Slight update.
Well I'm down to the last few bottles of this, the beer went damn quick! I rebrewed it on Sunday, so more should be coming :) This is one of the first beers I've ever rebrewed, but with a 3 week grain to glass turnaround time it was hard not to.

I shared this at a local brew club and it was gone in about 10 seconds, some very prominent and award winning home brewers said it was an outstanding beer. I brought the recipe on paper with me and shared it with the other homebrewers and a few people are now looking at making something like this. They are amazed at the beautiful hop aromas / flavors you get out of this with only 3oz of total hops. The bitterness is really spot on for an APA too, its not as heavy or bitter as an IPA.

Latest posts

Back