Cleaning blow-off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bensyverson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I do my primary in a 5 gal carboy with a clear vinyl blow-off tube. Because there's almost no headroom in the carboy, a lot of gunk gets blown off and winds up dried to the inside of the tube.

The problem is that while I can get the gunk off, it leaves a stain on the tube. How are people cleaning their blow-off tubes? Bleach?

I soak mine for a long time and have a small brush that I connected to a coat hanger that I can push through the tube. It works about as well as one can expect.

If it is soaked in a sanitizer... then it is sterile, it may not LOOK perfect, but the stain is just some discoloration.

The Pol said:
If it is soaked in a sanitizer... then it is sterile, it may not LOOK perfect, but the stain is just some discoloration.

No it's not. The "best" it can be is sanitized not sterile.
If it's just stained, don't worry about it. If it's still dirty, clean it. You can't "sanitize" dirty.

So if you stain something, it can no longer be sterilized? What I meant was, soak it in diluted bleach, it will be sterile.

Back