Did I kill my rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBEWJamie

Reaction score
I had ordered 4 differint rhizomes this winter and I had got them in March. This is my first time at trying to grow hops and from the research I had done it looked like the best thing to do was start them inside, so thats what I did. They took off way faster then I ever thought they would. Next thing I know is that all 4 of them had 2 to 3 bines that were 6 foot long and I was running out of room. I live in Ohio so I was watching the forcast to see when I could get them out. It finally looked good so I planted them. The next morning they looked great but by the afternoon the leaves were turning white and started to feel like paper. That was last week. Now they are brown and 2 plants still have a little green on them by not much. Could they start new sprouts and still make it or are they history?
Thanks for reading!!!!

Thats what I'm hoping happens! I had thoughts of cutting off the bines that are dying at ground level thinking that it would save the rhizomes energy of trying to grow those bines and start to grow new sprouts. Is that a wise thought?

I wintered mine in my garage in BIG pots and they all pretty ran bines that were 3-4 feet long. White too as they were in the dark most of the time. When I took them outside these white bines died in a couple days. This was 6 weeks ago. three of the five have multiple bines growing tall over 6 foot and full 6 twines each pot. The centential is slowly coming along, slowly. The golden didn't make it, replaced it.

You should be OK.

Latest posts

Back