Problems with converted propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUBrewing

Reaction score
So I just converted my propane burner over to natural gas and did my first brew on it. The flame is really yellow/orange and very sooty. It turned my kettle black. I realize the burner is running to rich probably and I need to increase oxygen. I tired to do this by turning the air intake dial but even with dial letting the most air in the flame changed very little. I'm trying to figure out what's wrong as I don't want to have to buy I different burner. I'm wondering if since the dial isn't allowing enough oxygen I can take it entirely off to allow maximum air flow but I don't know how safe that is. Oh and the burner is like this one http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/burners-1/cast-burner-55000-btu.html but its in a stage of course. Any help or ideas would be awesome!

And I heated everything for my brew yesterday with burner flame burning mostly orange/yellow and it seemed to heat and boil everything fine but I want to solve the bad fuel mix before my next brew. I need answers!

You might try to remove the air damper entirely and see if that works alright. If it gets better you might consider leaving it off or modifying damper slots.

That burner is designed for high pressure gas so it won't burn right no matter what you do because NG is low pressure, I tried the same thing with the same results.

I just bought the $23 jet burners and that solved the problem.

I'm gonna try taking the vent off entirely first and see what happens. So is the jet burner the best option for a natural gas burner? I have heard people having problems controlling the flame on those jet burners.

I don't have any trouble controlling the flame but if I get it down too low I get soot. As long as I keep the flame blue I get no soot at all. There are others that have converted the banjo burners with success also since they are designed for low pressure propane.

Just tried taking the air dial off and it made the burner work a little better but still a lot of yellow orange in the flame.

Before I bought my BG14 I converted the SP10 (or whatever model that burner is). It worked fine with regards to flame color- nice and blue, little orange tips. All I did was drill the orifice out to 7/64" and attach a ball valve in place of the regulator. Kyle

Well I decided I'm done fooling with it and bought a hurricane burner. Thanks for the help though

Latest posts

Back