General Kegging Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minjin

Reaction score
I just kegged my first batch! Its great, but I have a couple questions.
I forced carbed my beer @30 psi for 24 hours then I dropped the pressure down to 12 pounds. I thought it was coming out way too fast. From what I have read a lot of brewers say 24 hours at 30 then down to serving pressure which they state is 12psi.

1. What constitutes serving pressure, currently I have it at around 8psi and it comes out fine. But will that effect the carbonation in the brew itself?

2. According to this chart http://www.homebrew.com/pdfs/CO2chart.pdf
when carbonating for 2.5 volumes at 45 degrees it needs to be between 14 and 15 psi. I assume thats for the initial 2 weeks or whatever it takes to fully carbonate. After that what do you adjust the pressure to?

Serving pressure is that amount of pressure needed to keep the beer at desired carb level.

If you drop the pressure after it has trace ached your desired carb levels you will slowly lose carb in the beer as it equals out with the pressure that you are set at.

So I would need to keep it at 14psi according to the chart? If I wanted 2.5 volumes of carb...

You say its coming out to fast, is it foaming? If you had just had it set at 30 psi the pressure in the keg may have been higher than the 12 you turned it down to. The beer needs time to absorb the co2.

You are correct, I just turned it back up and its fine now. I purged the C02 but it must of needed some more time.
:mug:

Back