Wyeast Smack Pack stuck at FedEx

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead73

Brewmaster at Jbyrd Brewing, Hophead
Reaction score
I had to go out of town unexpectedly and had to have FedEx hold my shipment at their facility until I come home.
There is a Smack Pack in there, shipped with an ice pack, but I won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow morning. Meaning it will have been sitting for 4 days at FedEx and not in the fridge.
What are the chances the yeast survived?
I'm guessing I should smack it when I pick it up and if it does swell make a starter to help them grow.

HopHead73 said:
I had to go out of town unexpectedly and had to have FedEx hold my shipment at their facility until I come home.
There is a Smack Pack in there, shipped with an ice pack, but I won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow morning. Meaning it will have been sitting for 4 days at FedEx and not in the fridge.
What are the chances the yeast survived?
I'm guessing I should smack it when I pick it up and if it does swell make a starter to help them grow.

I had the same thing happen to me, they ship it with a cold pack which will only last so long, but even after it will be just fine.

I received two wyeast packs after they sat over the weekend 5 days total. They came fully expanded, I was able to just barely pop the inner pack by pinching it. I made a starter and had a great fermentation.

idigg said:
You should always make a starter with liquid yeast, as it only contains +/- 100 billion cells.

I always make a starter with liquid yeast...I was just wondering if there would at least be enough viable yeast for a starter.
Good to know others have survived the same ordeal

Got my package and the Smack Pack was already swollen from the released CO2 from it being at room temp for a few days. I couldn't smack the nutrient pack, but it didn't seem to matter as I just added some yeast nutrient to the starter and it is fermenting away just fine!
Had a nice thick yeast cake this morning.
Got to get these little guys ready for my "It's a Celebration, Bitches!" IPA

Back