What to do with grape pulp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grancru

Reaction score
Does the gape seed, skin and pulp have any redeeming qualities for fertilizer or other use or should it just be discarded in the trash?

I made a zin and once I removed the skins/seeds I froze them. I'm thinking of using them in a sour ale, but I'm sure other ales could benefit from a grape/wine influence.

If they are still fresh/juicy/unfermented -- dump them into another recipe or batch that you want to have a definite "Grape-ish-ness" to it....

If you are talking fermented pomace....... Compost/fertilizer/etc...

Sling them out back behind the fence.... they make fine 100% Organic fertilizer.... but the seeds may sprout, so don't sling them in the grass or flower beds.....

Thanks

John

This year I took the remains of a 6 gal batch of grape wine made and made a secondary 3 gallon batch from the leftover must. I just used the same recipe but added a bit more sugar to make up for what was lost from the must in the first batch to get my hydrometer reading to the correct level. I have racked it twice and will be ready to bottle it in a week. The color is a a bit less intense as is the actual flavor of the wine compared to the "mother" batch, but I figure it would be good to crack this stuff out once your tastebuds are a bit dulled from a bottle or two of the good stuff with company, and this rreally is good enough on its own. I have since been making one gallon batches of the same thing whenever I make a 6 gallon batch and use it to top off the 6 gal batch so I dont lose headspace or quantity and this way I am using basically the same wine to top off with. Its cheaper and more similar than using a commercially made wine because I simply want my wine to taste like the wine I made.

Some winemakers use the pulp to make grappa.

However, making grappa requires distillation, so its discussion is not permitted on this forum.

Back