BIPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Black IPA:
5 gal batch
6 lbs Briess pilsen LME
1 lb Bavarian wheat DME
1 lb Carafa II Special (Dehusked)
3/4 lb crystal 60
1/2 lb Special Roast
1/4 lb light DME
1 oz Warrior (13.7%) @ 60 mins
2 oz Cascade (6.2%) @ 20/5 mins
WLP 001

36* SRM, 68.9 IBU's, 5.7% ABV (I usually get higher OG's - up to 0.5% ABV)

I've ordered the malt extracts and hops, but will buy my steeping grains locally.
Any changes or input?

I'd defiantly dry hop since it is an IPA.
Last time I made a BIPA I just used light pilsen dme, Carafa Special III, chocolate malt, crystal 60 and something else I can't remember (I think...) it came out pretty good. You're pretty much right there with your recipe though. IDK about the wheat dme though but it's only a pound so it shouldn't make that much difference imo.

What is the difference between Carafa II and III (Special)?

I figured that by adding the aroma hops in the boil it held the aroma whereas it dissipates with time by dry hopping. Although IPA's don't last long around me as they are my favorites!

I've been adding wheat DME since, in the beginning, I was having head retention/lacing problems. I see that Briess adds carapils (?) to their pilsen, which ought to make it unnecessary, but I've just been doing it anyway...

Looks pretty good in general. Boiling the hops will add to the bitterness, not make the aroma stick around longer. I like the 20 minute addition which will add a bit of flavor, aroma, and bitterness. If you can pick up some additional hops, I would also add a 1oz flameout addition and maybe a 2oz dryhop, both cascade.

Looks damn tasty! I just brewed up a very similar recipe with warrior, cascade and willamette. I also used 1# carafa II special which produced a very very dark brown wort; not quite black but definitely uber dark. I think that carafa III sp would have made a darker work and contributed a bit more roastiness to the finished beer... After 3 weeks pull a sample and make a determination about DH then. Maybe it'll have plenty of aroma for your taste without the DH. Me personally, I like lots of hop aroma so I plan to DH for 7 days with 1oz each Cascade and Willie.

I'm curious about the 1 or 0 min additions. How do you do a 0 min addition? Turn off the heat and add the hop bag, and then what? That's when I add my bulk of LME. I just change those additions to 5 min and take 'em out at flameout.

The 5 min addition just adds aroma correct?

I'm budgeted for $70/mo on supplies, though I typically come closer to $90, and so I always try to push 4 brews or additional stuff, and so I forgo the dry hop and just move extra to the 15-20 and 5 min addition.

I'm curious about the 1 or 0 min additions. How do you do a 0 min addition? Turn off the heat and add the hop bag, and then what? That's when I add my bulk of LME. I just change those additions to 5 min and take 'em out at flameout.

The 5 min addition just adds aroma correct?

Your 5 minute will pretty much just add aroma. You can leave them in while your wort is chilling. Same thing goes if you do a flameout or "0 min" addition, let them steep while the wort is chilling.

Ahhh... Cool.
So what is the real difference between adding them at 5, 1, and 0?

We are a lot alike in our methods - I like to do late extract too. The 0min addition (or aroma hop steep) is put in at flame out and left to steep. In my case, I like to steep for 30mins then chill the wort. My hop bag(s) stay in the wort while i'm chilling. I pull the bag out while i'm removing the wort chiller. Some people take the bag out before they chill.

I wouldn't say that there is a huge difference between the 0 and 5 minute range. At 5 minutes, you will extract slightly more bitterness than at 0 minutes. I think the final outcome also depends on your process and how fast you typically cool your wort. When you start getting more batches under your belt you can play with different times and see if you can pick up on any differences.

Haven't timed it to see, though I've meant to but i'd guess within 20 mins to room temp ~75*. Fast enough?

"In my case, I like to steep for 30mins then chill the wort."

So you leave your finished wort sitting for the 30 mins before you chill it?
If so I thought it was important to get a quick cool down of the wort.

rodwha said:
So you leave your finished wort sitting for the 30 mins before you chill it?
If so I thought it was important to get a quick cool down of the wort.

Yes thats what i do and i don't have any issues with haze. It is important to cool the wort, but the jury is still out on how quickly you really need to chill. Many brewers on these boards don't even chill their wort, they simply let their beers cool down to pitching temps overnight - search for "no chill".

I am in the "not in a hurry to chill" camp. I have just seen very little difference beside spending money on a chiller, which I have. For BIPA I really like biscuit added in to round out the flavor. Love the hops but in the late addition I like a citra and or a centennial hop. Either way it looks good.

Back