Average time for fermentation to take off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soontobepcv

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here, but have brewed a number of beers from both dry yeast and packs. That said, most of the time there was quite a bit of activity within 24 hours of pitching.

I just started my first cider with 2 gallons unpreserved cider from a local farm, pitched with dry wine yeast and no nutrient, and perhaps a half pound of brown sugar. 48 hours later, there are no signs of activity. What is the longest I should expect before re-pitching? Could I simply use the bottom of a bottle of homebrew, rather than make the trek out to the brew shop?

And just out of curiosity: has anybody tried cider made with Belgian yeast?

Thanks.

generally, mine is started within 24-48 hours, but depending on temps it could take up to 72. You could try giving it a stir or gentle shake, and if that doesn't do it, then re-pitch.

I don't know about averages, but both the batches I started last night (a liquid hefeweizen yeast and a dry ale yeast, each in a gallon of pasteurized unfiltered juice) were bubbling merrily 9-10 hours later. A previous batch, with wine yeast, was going within about the same time-frame, if I remember right. But none have produced much in the way of a wort-like krauesen. Temps are in the mid 70s. Oh, and I did use a tsp of yeast nutrient in each, for what that's worth.

My first cider (pitched 6 days ago), using WLP720, showed signs when I looked at it 12 hours later. At 16 hrs after pitching, it was going strong. At 24 hrs after pitching, I needed a blowoff tube because I was getting cider in my airlock.

I made a starter 24 hrs before pitching, though.

i used lalvin #1116 dry wine yeast on a 5 gallon batch no preserves and i had steady action on the airlock less than 12 hours later

mr_stimey said:
i used lalvin #1116 dry wine yeast on a 5 gallon batch no preserves and i had steady action on the airlock less than 12 hours later

My last batch with Cote de Blancs took off in <16 hours. That was with 5 gallons of juice, two yeast packets and no yeast nutrients.

Thanks for all the responses... when things seemed hopeless, I gave the bucket a good shake, and lo and behold there is plenty of action to be witnessed. The smell coming from the airlock is a little funky, but hopefully it all works out.

Thanks.

The funky smell may be from the natural yeast that you didn't kill off first.

That is, if you didn't pasterize or (preferrably) add campden beforehand.

Most of my batches of everything including my ciders started within 24 hours, usually 8-12 hours. Double check your seal on fermentor especially if using an ale pail. Give it a good shake for 2-3 minutes. Keep it warm. Give another 12-24 hours. Then, if no dice. Pitch again with another yeast. Make sure to rehydrate according to directions and it showing signs of activity before pitch.

Back