Need Help with Malt Extact!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyhood

Reaction score
So I am making my 1st beer away from my LHBS and it calls for 6.0 lbs of liquid wheat extract the guy there said they didn't have any and gave me 6 lbs of dry malt wheat extract.. along with that was a 1 lb of dry light extract.. he told me i wouldn't need that due to the 6lbs of the dry.. so not thinking i dumped all 6 lbs into the wort.. and then a stroke of brilliance came up and said.. well liquid and dry can not be the same amount.. i went and looked and saw the conversion.. its looks like a 1.4 lbs over what i was suppose to put in there i did take some of it out before i started stiring.. so what is the effect of this to my beer?
thanks Gary:confused:

Your beer will come out with more alcohol. I would have upped the hops to compensate, but it will be fine. If you can, get a program like beersmith that you can push some numbers into to figure out the differences.

I don't understand what you're saying. You used a total six pounds of dry malt extract (wheat)? That's fine. Liquid extract is a bit "watered" down, so you can definitely just substitute all dry for the 6 pounds of LME and the 1 pound of DME.

Yes, this is a bit confusing.

It sounds like he substituted 6 pounds of DRY malt extract for
6 pounds of LIQUID extract and 1 pound of Dry extract.

Which should be right, since normally you need more liquid than dry. Most cans of liquid malt extract (LME) are 3.3 lbs and can be sub'ed for a 3 pound bag of Dry Malt extract (DME)

I think the store was correct, and I'd just brew everything normally. Have fun! Let us know how it turns out, whatever you did.

Brew on.

Back