Purpose of 2 ports on Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So im curious, whats the purpose? One of my cheap aluminum pots actually cracked or sprung a leak somehow, i have no clue how but when i went to a friends for them to use it we realized after it heated up there was a pinhole leaking water out the bottom!

Thank god it was one of those cheap $20 IMUSA pots from Walmart...no idea why it did it, but regardless it lasted me a good 10+ brews, so i figure this time ill just get a stainless pot and be done with it.

Looking online ive found the 9 gallon pot on sale for 70 for 1 port, or 80 for 2 ports...

Can someone list some reasons why you would ever need 2 ports on the boil kettle? Thermometer seems like a waste of space and money, i have a thermapen...and i only care that the water is boiling.

I cant see a reason for it, but before i go with the single port i just want to make sure theres not something i am totally missing. I am doing all grain in a Igloo tun(no BIAB)

Some people like to have a sight gauge to see how many gallons they have boiling as well. This too isn't necessary if you know your system but many have them and like them. If your not interested then a single port will get the job done. Hope this helps

The primary purpose of the second port is for a thermometer.
Can be easier reading that thermometer than using a handheld thermometer for some when heating up strike and sparge water.

I have a sight glass on mine, that way I can control the boil making sure I'm not boiling way to hard and losing too much to evaporation.

It's also nice to see at the end how much volume I ended with.

But yes you either use a thermometer or sight glass.

I like having the thermometer on there when I'm chilling so I can keep the lid on and sealed from airborne contaminants as well as monitoring strike water. I still like using a floating milk thermometer for monitoring mash temps though.

Technically,you could get 3 holes; 2 for the sight glass,& one for the temp guage. I'd like to put a sight glass on my 5G SSBK.

I like having the thermometer on there when I'm chilling so I can keep the lid on and sealed from airborne contaminants as well as monitoring strike water. I still like using a floating milk thermometer for monitoring mash temps though.

I use mine while chilling and steeping. All I have to do is glance at it, pretty handy.

Rick

Back