first brew- maibock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhaha4u

Reaction score
Just completed my first brew yesterday!! Wow what a good time. Question- the last measurement was 1.070, knowing this when do I move to a second fermentor, and then when do I bottle(what measerements do I look for at each step? Also do I have to use a second fermentation?Thanks for answering all my questions so far guess. Can't wait to contribute myself.

I don't have the temp control, so I thought I would take the option mentioed on the brew sheet and brew it as a ale. Is this a bad idea?

If you brew it as an ale, you can probably skip the secondary altogether. Count on 3-4 weeks primary for this big of a beer. The FG should be below 1.020 when done, but possibly it will stop at something a bit higher than that. You want to see two equal measurements a couple days apart before bottling. But even if it's done early, let it stay for 3-4 weeks. The yeast will still be improving your beer.

Back