HopsDirect: $$ for 2oz packaging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maho

Reaction score
HopsDirect aka Puterbaugh farms: we all love them.. but hops come in 1lb pags which is the source of many discussions here on the forum.

So the question is:
How much extra $$ would you be willing to pay to have your 1 lb of hops professionally packaged and shipped in 2 oz packs?

Give you input and I will try to point Puterbaugh to this thread...

If you want to pay 5 times more you can get them in 2 oz packages at your LHBS.

No offense, but why are so many people trying to turn them into something they're not?

I think they do fine sending in the pounds. for all your trouble and their trouble, buy a cheap foodsaver on CL and seal it yourself, in the long run you will come out on top and they will have less to worry about

Yeah I don't get it. If you want it in 2oz packs for a markup, there's already plenty of places that do that. One reason HopsDirect is able to charger lower prices is because they don't have to worry about measuring out and individually packaging such small quantities. Hell, I've gotten 2 oz overages on some of my hops from them.

I wouldn't pay one extra dime for such packaging. They give good prices because they deal in some degree of bulk. I have a Foodsaver that I have paid for many times over through buying in bulk and separating on my own.

In fact, I don't separate hops at all. Many times, I do not want an even ounce or two. I just keep them in the bulk and take what I need, resealing each time. No problems.

TL

I am not looking for smaller quantities, I am fine with buying hops by the lbs.

But...if they would package them in nice little easy to use quantities, I would pay for that rather than have a sub-prime packing facility in my kitchen for hops.

Guess I am the only one then ...

I guess it depends on what you consider to be an easy to use quantity. I often do additions of half an ounce or an ounce. So, a 2 oz package would still be a waste for me.

I've got a scale, and a foodsaver, and that seems to work better for me than trying to pre-buy set amounts of hops. I used to do that from the LHBS, and I always ended up with leftovers and a feeling like I'd wasted a lot of money.

I am not looking for smaller quantities, I am fine with buying hops by the lbs.

But...if they would package them in nice little easy to use quantities, I would pay for that rather than have a sub-prime packing facility in my kitchen for hops.

Guess I am the only one then ...

I'd hardly call a FoodSaver and digital scale 'sub-prime'; to each, their own.

Like several have pointed out already, I rarely use nice even amounts of any one hop variety in a recipe, except perhaps in dry-hopping - a two ounce package would be wasted on me. I keep all my hops in bulk bags, take what I need and reseal - just like TexLaw.

OK, OK ... I'll buy the damn foodsaver ;-)
Was saving up for a nice new brewpot...but that will never be I guess...

Now how to sell this to SWIMBO...

Sell it by saying it will save money on food spoilage. I use mine to vac seal all kinds of food that would normally go bad in a few days. The I eat it 2 weeks later...

OK, OK ... I'll buy the damn foodsaver ;-)
Was saving up for a nice new brewpot...but that will never be I guess...

We also use ours to buy bulk meats on special, split them up into meal-sized portions and throw them into the freezer. Saves a TON of money. Also, we've been making jam and using a foodsaver with mason jar attachment for that.

When they get back in season soon, I will be making spicy pickled brussels sprouts similar to Frog Balls (halfway down the page).

Why would I want 2 oz packages? Most of my recipes use 1 oz, 3 oz, or 5 oz amounts of hops.

And multiple different types as well. ;)

I don't think HD even know HOW to weigh an accurate amount to within one ounce! (Thankfully) :D

Just get the foodsaver for the missus as a present. She will love it! She will love you more too................ until she finds out why you bought it. :)

I wouldn't pay one extra dime for such packaging. They give good prices because they deal in some degree of bulk. I have a Foodsaver that I have paid for many times over through buying in bulk and separating on my own.

In fact, I don't separate hops at all. Many times, I do not want an even ounce or two. I just keep them in the bulk and take what I need, resealing each time. No problems.

TL

My thoughts exactly.

First, you'll save by spending far less than $48/lb of hops. If you take advantage of the roughly $10/lb pricing happening right now, you can pay for that Foodsaver and bags after just a few pounds of hops.

Then, you still have a Foodsaver for bulk food (and other hops down the road). Like the others said, it's pretty darn good at saving food (oddly enough). Between buying meat in bulk and saving leftovers, that little machine is some of the best money I've ever spent.

TL

Yeah, they would have to charge extra for all the additional packing time. There is a smaller scale hopsource in WA called hopstoyou. I think they sell a lot of their stuff in 4oz sizes, but of course they are charging a bit of a price premium to do that. Still cheaper than the LHBS, but a more manageable package size if that is what you are looking for.

Buy from Freshops if you want smaller quantities - they have brought the pricing down. I like both vendors and will continue to use them.

while you are at it tell costco to sell individual cans of soup, I'm like I only want one can of soup but I don't want pay alot

Nothing new to add, just strolling by and ringing the same bell. It really was a no brainer when I explained to SWMBO why I wanted a FoodSaver. She looked at me and said "that'll work for meat from CostCo as well." In fact it's used so much it's got its very own counter space. Not even the toaster gets that kind of acreage.

that little machine is some of the best money I've ever spent.TL

You said it!

I just bought 3 lbs, all of them almost exactly 500 grams. I'm happy, even though shipping was more expensive than the hops.

Back