Basque Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bibulous

Reaction score
Anyone have info / a method or recipe for Basque cider?

Travelling around San Sebastian in the Basque country, I got to try the local cider - amaaaazing! It is definitely different from other ciders: not nearly as sweet - a tiny bit sour, in fact - but great with food and especially on a hot day. I think the fermentation is 'malo-lactic'? Does that require a different culture than just yeast? Thanks for any light you can shed...!

Thanks Orfy! I actually saw that article in my googling...

does anyone know how malo-lactic fermentation is done?

It's spontaneous fermentation only, otherwise it can't be legally called sagarno in Basque, or sidra natural in Spanish

Thanks Orfy! I actually saw that article in my googling...

does anyone know how malo-lactic fermentation is done?

Or let the finished cider on the lees for a while.

There's also something called batonnage (you stir up the yeast a lot) after alcoholic fermentation is done. It's supposed to start malo-lactic fermentation.

Which, by the way, gives cider a softer taste (malic acid is harsher than lactic acid).

my apologies in advance for digging up an ancient thread, but there is really not a lot of information online about creating basque ciders and I wanted to relay my experiences.

I made a batch of cider from pasteurized, unfiltered juice to which I added red star montrachet yeast and bottle dregs from a couple bottles of basque cider (isastegi and sarasola: see http://www.overcarbed.com/?p=1616). about a month later I went to rack the cider and discovered an impressive pellicle along with a very lambic-like aroma similar to the ciders from which I had pulled the dregs.

the cider appears to be "sick" at the moment, but I will update with results in a few (6+) months with future developments. I'm thinking about adding oak cubes, and maybe attempting another batch with a less attenuative yeast.

cider.jpg

ssf .. is there an update on your cider? I just had one get infected with lacto and it is starting to get a pellicle.

I've been meaning to post an update with pics, but the last bottle I tried was viscous and ropy, so I believe the cider is going through a "sick" phase compliments of some pedio. the cider smelled great though, very reminiscent of lambic. I'll try another bottle soon to see if it's cleaned up...

well, I finally got around to a proper tasting here. see below for my notes:

cider.png

basque cider
appearance – pale gold, great clarity, very slight carbonation
aroma – earthy funk, sweet cooked apple, spice
taste – clean, light funk up front with a lingering apple finish, mellow acidity
notes – although not as funky as I would have hoped (aroma was stronger than actual taste, somewhat similar to the basque cider samples I have tried), this is a great alternative to a standard cider and a good intro to the wild side for the uninitiated.

next time I'm thinking about either doing a brett primary fermentation or adding more substantial amounts of bugs (lacto, brett, pedio).

Ssf - I read your update son your site and the how-to, thanks for sharing! I'm excited to try and find the Isastegi near Seattle :)

Latest posts

Back