A couple of additive questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
Hey im new to the forum and to cider/mead making. been doing some beer brewing for a couple years but have just recently decided to brew everyday household stuff (bruhahaha).

Anyways, i was wondering if anyone has used a combination of raisens/brown sugar in their cider batch? i want to try to get residuals off of these ingrediants because thats what i like in my belgian beers *abt 12 ftw*.

If i were to add raisens/brown sugar while creating the wort *if thats what you cider dudes call it* will there be notes of them, or will it just aid in complexity and or alcohol content *respectively*?

thanks for any help.

Well, it depends on the amount you put in of course, but sometimes you will get some flavor. I use raisins in my banana wine to add some complexity, but I don't get any real raisin flavor from it. I also use raisins in my dandelion wine, in a small amount, to add some body. You do get some fermentables out of raisins, too, but not a huge amount.

Brown sugar will ferment, but it can leave a little bit of "molasses" flavor behind if you use enough.

Winemakers call the unfermented mix "must".

I make an apple wine out of apple juice that is about 12% and it's very good tasting even young. I'm not really too much into ciders, so I'll have to defer any more difficult questions to them!

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

thanks that explained a lot. one more for you, will using ale yeast work for brewing cider or am i stuck with wine yeast? not trying to make an apfelwein just some cider.

Oh, ale yeasts work great (maybe better than wine yeast in leaving some residual sweetness) and I know other cider makers have used them. I never used cider yeast, but there are some here on HBT that swear by them.

I had the same urge...To Brew from the Grocery Store. I live on a farm, outside of a very small town and I have to drive a few hundred miles or wait for UPS to deliver when it's time to brew. That was my inspiration, but I have yet to find anyone that doesn't like this recipe...All ingredients from a grocery store in a town of less than 500 people.

1Apple sliced thin
1 #’ Clover honey (RAW)
1# Brown Sugar
2 cloves
¼ tsp Cinnamon
To make 1 gallons of water.
1.5 tsp Red Star Bread Yeast.
BOIL the crap out of the apple and cinnamon and Brown sugar then strain. Add honey when cooled down a bit, and add yeast when it is at room temp.

BigKahuna said:
I had the same urge...To Brew from the Grocery Store. I live on a farm, outside of a very small town and I have to drive a few hundred miles or wait for UPS to deliver when it's time to brew. That was my inspiration, but I have yet to find anyone that doesn't like this recipe...All ingredients from a grocery store in a town of less than 500 people.

1Apple sliced thin
1 #’ Clover honey (RAW)
1# Brown Sugar
2 cloves
¼ tsp Cinnamon
To make 1 gallons of water.
1.5 tsp Red Star Bread Yeast.
BOIL the crap out of the apple and cinnamon and Brown sugar then strain. Add honey when cooled down a bit, and add yeast when it is at room temp.

Yeah i remember brewing with bread yeast, did it for the same reson as well.

Back