White labs san Diego super yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think white labs denied that claim but who knows. I did just make a double ipa with this yeast though, it's a few days from finishing in primary. I used two vials and a starter but its a beast of a strain! Was fermenting hard for nearly three days and required a blowoff tube for almost two. So far it's tasting great, so I recommend giving it a shot. Hell I'm thinking about using this for lower gravity ales as well.

Sounds good. I think I'll go ahead and give Yooper's Ruination Clone it's day in court using this yeast.

I've been using it for my past 6 batches. It's very good. Very similar to WLP001 in flavor profile. I thought the first batch was great and fermented fast, but the subsequent batches with the harvested yeast ferment even quicker! Great strain and very versatile!

I really dig it. Fermentation for me always completes by day 3 at the latest(WITHOUT a starter) It's a super fast fermenting strain and like Gunner said, it's similar to WLP001. From what I've read, it is very temperamental with fermentation temperature. I've fermented every batch at 65 using that yeast and it's turned out really well.

And no, it's not Stone's strain. White Labs even said it's just a tribute to the city where their operation resides.

From what I've read, it is very temperamental with fermentation temperature. I've fermented every batch at 65 using that yeast and it's turned out really well.

I used it in a pale ale last year and accidentally let the ferm. temps get too high. Probably in the low to mid 70's. Funny thing, it actually turned out really good. Tasted like a nice Belgian IPA. I probably wouldn't try to repeat the results.

I have used it in several batches and it has become my house strain replacing US-05. The vial I started with was actually fairly slow fermenting, although I do ferment most of my ales around 62f. The washed yeast did not seem to work any faster than the first generation starter so I did not re-harvest and will be purchasing a new vial for my next brew. It is a very clean yeast that floccs out incredibly well and quickly. It is super hungry taking my blonde ale down to 1.006. I may revert back to US-05 for my IPA's and IIPA's though as it seems to me this yeast favors malt flavors over hops, YMMV.

Yea, definitely not Stone's house strain, which is proprietary and not sold to the public, but it's probably a good start for doing clone beers. WLP090 is my house strain- love it for just about everything American. Ferments fast and drops hard as long as you use oxygen- like many british high-flocculating strains it needs a lot of O2 to work properly, and very tight temperature control (notice WL lists its temp range as much narrower than other strains).

Back